See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Brake and ABS Light help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 11:00 AM
wtemple
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright thanks. It will be a while before I will be able to take it in but I will keep you all posted on what they say. Hopefully it will help someone next time.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Kellyjoe7
Default 1999 Durango ABS lite on- making noise

HELP !!!!
I Just got this durango about a month ago -
ABS light came on after it was parked and there is a motor running sound/noise coming from under hood near firewall- had to disconnect the battery to make it stop. I believe it is in the ABS control assembly area ; according to my Chilton book ? When I touch the battery cable to the post it automatically starts the noise again, with out key in ignition. I have even left it overnite unhooked.

Live in a very small town - nearest town large enough for a repair shop is 25 miles away. Can I drive it there without causing more problems ?
And what is the problem / solution ? Is it the REAR WHEEL SENSOR ?

Also lost defrost within 4 days of buying this - heat works randomly. Bought this from Brothers new wife, it was her late husbands so they don't know what he has had done with it only repairs they have done. They deny having any of these problems, they've drove it long distances for 2 years that I know of, with no problems. PLease if any one has any IDEAS - Thank you -

Old 04-08-2010, 07:59 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Disconnect the rear sensor on top of the differential and see if the buzzing noise stops. If it does, replace the sensor.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:53 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

what hydra said, easiest way to rule out the sensor

Old 06-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Firewing999

I am new here at the forum, and I stopped here because I have a Durango 98 with an ABS/Brake problem.

My problem is that when I turn on the lights of ABS/Brake are turned off (they show at start up but after the normal time they turn off), but when I am driving the lights come on, and remain like that until I turn off the truck. I've changed the rear sensor, what else could be, I will visit AutoZone to see if them can lend me an ABS sensor reader, they sell some in this store.

What could be my solution?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:04 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

check your brake fluid level, my dads old truck did this getting on/off highway onramps and what happened was the fluid shifted in the reservoir enough to tell the sensor that it was too low and set off the lights, but as soon as he turned it off all was fine, and the fluid was still technically above the add mark, but make sure it is closer to the full mark, and then check for leaks if this solves your problem

Old 06-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Firewing999

I've checked my fluid level, is full, I've checked also the connections on the ABS module, the ABS valve, I am missing the front sensors, it is weird because not always the truck brakes fine, and also I think it feels slow-braking, sometimes you feel the truck is not going to stop! I've also changed front brakepads and the front cylinder for both sides, also both front discs.

Hope the problem is the front sensors, if not, what else could be? I am really worried because we planned a long travel in this truck, but in this conditions I think it can't be done.

Another thing, my speedo works since when you turn on the truck, but when you speed up, it begins moving up and down

Last edited by Firewing999; 06-09-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:28 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

try the output speed sensor on the transmission (its on the tailshaft, drivers- side of the truck) i think it costs like $20 and usually goes around the same time as the rear axle speed sensor so we recommend replacing them in pairs.

also not all durangos came with 4 wheel ABS. you might only have 2 wheel abs which would explain the lack of sensors on the front

you can check this by requesting a build sheet here

Old 06-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Firewing999

The output speed sensor is located near the carter? and has 3 wires coming from it? This because I think I found the problem, it was a short caused by these wires, I'll check, if the problem is solved or not, I'll tell, you.

Thanks

Old 06-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Firewing999

Now the problem is worse haha, Now the ABS light is always on, and the speedometer doesn't work, also I checked the old sensor and it is working fine! Maybe the problem was not the sensor, when I was moving the wires the light went on, now the light is still on and the speedometer doesn't work, I've checked and the wires are not worn out =S, now I am seriously worried, what can I do?

Another detail, the failure is still there, even if I disconnect the negative battery terminal and place the key on start position for 15-30 seconds

Last edited by Firewing999; 06-09-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake and ABS Light help!!!!