Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge SUVs > Dodge Durango > 1st Gen Durango
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Brake and ABS Light help!!!!

Old 08-04-2013, 04:18 PM

Vehicle: 1999 durango, silver, auto trans,4wd slt 5.2 L.
Default re: most shops dont read abs codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpshtr325 View Post
FYI most shops do not have the 3-8k dollar machine required to read ABS codes its called a DRBIII scantool and without it communication with the ABS controller where those codes are stored is impossible.

So, All though scan tools that say they read all compliant can and odb1 and 2 plus abs and srs cdata are all bogus?!! Because I failed inspection because of the abs and brake light...all my brake stuff is new and I had the rear diff abs sensor replaced and the lights were still on. and now its shifting weird from 1st to 2nd...and the stealer ship wants $225 just to clear the code. way too stupid imo. so buying and actron or other is not going to actually read the abs codes though it says it will?

Mark
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:49 PM
THE ULTI-MOD
Dodge Forum Moderator

Vehicle: 2013 Challenger R/T
Send a message via AIM to shrpshtr325

idk i have never seen a cheap handheld scanner which claims to read abs codes, and even if it can read them it very likely cannot erase them

-Phillip's Law: Four-wheel-drive just means getting stuck in more inaccessible places.

bikes?
live in NJ?
REAR WIPER CLUB MEMBER #2

Quote:
altair: I need something that lets me stab people in the face over the internet
Old 08-06-2013, 01:41 PM

Vehicle: 1999 durango, silver, auto trans,4wd slt 5.2 L.
Default reply:cheap hand held scanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpshtr325 View Post
idk i have never seen a cheap handheld scanner which claims to read abs codes, and even if it can read them it very likely cannot erase them
not necessarily cheap. Just hand held. There are actrons that will do it.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:30 PM

I have had this issue trying to get my Durango to pass thee inspection I looked all over for answers I tried everything last resort was the whole abs modual and pump which was to pricy so I got creative I couldn't actually solve the problem but I did get it to pass I took the instrument cluster out and taped over the coontacts for the removable abs bulb.I then wired the abs bulb to the check engine light bulb.the breaks warning light is a bit more tricky as it is a hardwired led bulb. I made the hole in the cluster housing bigger with a knife and screw driver using a small bulb a rubber grommet and some finger nail polish made the white bulb red cover up led bulb and ran a wire from the new bulb to the contacts on the cruise control dash light and BOOM all dash lights cycle on and of with engine start up it worked great (side note) if they are testing the light on park break application then u can run a second bulb and wire it to the copper contacts in e break peddle and the to another live wire just make sure u have a good ground and a fuse and make sure u hide your wires the best part is your not breaking any laws and its all reversible so if u ever get the urge and mony to properly fix the problem then u can and still have all ur lights.hope this helps I have spent 3 months vigourisly trying to figure something out this could still work with slightly newer models with all led dash just will require a thick stubborn skull and a lot of outsidethebox kind of thinking good luck
Old 12-03-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by energumeno View Post
Did changing the sensor cured the problem?

i experienced the same issue today. brake and abs lights turn on at startup and after a short time go off. But while driving both lights go on and stay lit until i turned off the truck.

This haven't happened before and today the problem appeared when i had the truck on 4 wheel drive (horrible weather here) wonder if 4wd on has anything to do with the lights turning on...
Replacing the ABS Control Module fixed the problem.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:47 PM

Tags
2000, 2005, 98, abs, clear, disconnect, dodge, durango, failing, light, lights, magnum, sensor, su3356, turn, warning