Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Brake and ABS Light help!!!!

Old 06-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Jacob1189
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had/have this issue, mine goes away when i bleed my brakes but since i haven't fixed the small leak it keeps coming back......I need to fix that......

**Also, when i had the codes read by a mechanic, nothing came back. so if you don't have any codes but the lights are on, i'll bet it's a leak and therefore air/low fluid. but like many have said, that rear ABS sensor seems to be a common problem.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:15 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

FYI most shops do not have the 3-8k dollar machine required to read ABS codes its called a DRBIII scantool and without it communication with the ABS controller where those codes are stored is impossible.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:23 PM
mac54
Default Check Orientation of Aftermarket Sensor

Didn't read all 16 pages so this may be covered but just a heads up. If you are buying just the new sensor and not the metal bracket as well make sure you know which side the hole for the bolt is on in relation to which way the female electrical is facing. I crossed the border to pay half price not realizing that they make the sensor with the female end facing both ways. It works after bending one side of the metal bracket out of the way and undoing 3 of the clips that hold the wires along side the brake lines. Not real hard but you can save 15 minutes (and an extra trip from under the truck to bend the bracket) if you get the right one.
Thanks for the earlier posts that made this a cheap and pretty easy fix.

Last edited by mac54; 07-07-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Ram69

not quite the same problem . abs and brake light come on intermittenly sometimes when backing up and braking other times when driving and then braking. No problem with speedometer or brakes. It is always off when I start the car up. No codes to be read. Still possible to be the rear sensor?

Old 07-12-2012, 11:18 AM
gusheidisky

Originally Posted by Ram69
not quite the same problem . abs and brake light come on intermittenly sometimes when backing up and braking other times when driving and then braking. No problem with speedometer or brakes. It is always off when I start the car up. No codes to be read. Still possible to be the rear sensor?
If the lights only come on when you are braking, it's less likely to be a sensor. Check the brake fluid level. If it's low, look for the cause.

Check for leaks first. Park in a clear, dry area. With engine running, press firmly on the brake pedal. If the pedal goes gradually to the floor, let it up, then do it again. Now stop the engine, and look under the car for obvious drips near each wheel, across the front in front of the engine, across rear axle, and under left side of frame. Check the inside of each wheel rim for signs of leakage from front calipers or rear wheel cylinders.

If brake pedal feels OK and no sign of leaks, check for brake pad/shoe wear next. Front pads wear much quicker than rear shoes and contribute more to the lowering of fluid level as they wear. You might be able to see through the front wheels how much material is left on the front pads, but you might need to pull a wheel.

Could also be an internal leak in the brake master cylinder causing unequal pressure to different wheels via the ABS controller.

If all this fails, you might need to visit a shop that has the right scan tool and software to read the stored brake system codes. The regular hand-held scanners will only give you the standardized engine/emission codes.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:55 AM
darelld
Default brake light on 99 Dodge Durango

My durango does not have ABS brakes. The "Brake" light is on and at slow speeds, just before coming to a complete stop, the pedal gets very stiff and i have to mash on the pedal. Strangely, the light goes on and off, and I only have problems when the brake light is off. Also, when I turn the truck on I can hear the master cylinder whining. To me it sound as if it is building pressure, which makes me think the pressure regulater is defective. I also if the brakes need bled, but with my luck problems are never that simple. Any suggestions?

Old 07-15-2012, 10:21 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

your durango most certainly DOES have ABS brakes, rear wheel abs was a STANDARD feature on these trucks, sounds to me like the abs is kicking in (on the rear wheels) and is basically pumping the brakes, check to see if the pedal gets stiffer when you pump the brakes, if so you are ending up low on fluid somehow or have air in the lines.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:22 PM
darelld

I guess I assumed there would be an "ABS" light on my dash along with "BRAKE". I guess I will bleed the brakes and see if that helps. I have checked the fluid several times but the level does not drop. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Ram69

Brake fluid is full , no leaks are found, pads and brakes are year old, proper bleeding was done when they were installed. Brake pedal doesn't travel to floor. Durango has very good brakes, It is just the light that comes on and off that is driving me nuts wondering
why.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Ram69

I, too, have the same problem with my 99 durango. Only the lights don't stay on when I start the car. They come on sometimes when I brake backing up, brake going forward, and sometimes when they are off they will come on while just driving along. According to my GPS my speedometer is of by 2 to 3 miles per hour.
A main problem I have right now is the 20 amp fuse in the PDB for the fuel pump shows juice when the fuse is pulled with a drain of about 2.5 volts. across the terminals. I have searched all over and can't seem to find the short. Also show a 0443 code ( evap control solenoid open or shorted circuit) I had replaced it and tested wires and wires are good, but still comes on now and then.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake and ABS Light help!!!!