1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Durango SLT Starts then Dies after 2-3 seconds

Old 12-31-2013, 05:07 PM
Genius
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Durango SLT Starts then Dies after 2-3 seconds

I'm new to the forum. Will appreciate any advise on this situation with wife's Durango.

Wife calls to tell me car starts normally and then dies after 2-3 seconds. Does this repeatedly. Pressing on accelerator makes no difference. Always starts fine but dies after a few seconds. Thought it might be a key transponder problem so I brought out spare key and car starts right up, runs fine, and wife is able to drive it home fine. Just to be safe, I check wires and clean battery terminals when she got home. Next day wife accidentally uses her original key (the one that we thought was bad) and it starts fine again. Wife drives to work about 20 miles with no problems. After work she has same starting/dieing problem. My son brings her spare key but this time it does not work. It stills starts fine then dies. I come out and do the "on/off, on/off, on" thing with original key and there are no codes listed. I turned ignition again and this time it starts fine with the original key. She drives about 10 miles to next destination, shuts car off. She leaves an hour later, car starts fine and she drives home (same original key). Next morning (today) the car repeatedly starts fine and dies after 2-3 seconds with spare key. I cleaned the spare key and tried it again. Worked fine. Started and idled normally. I doubt the key clean is responsible but could ignition key slot be dirty? I'm stumped.

I've been researching but can't find a problem exactly like mine. It doesn't appear to be a key transponder failure considering that both keys had this problem of not working and then working. I've read about battery issues (mine has plenty of charge), various sensors, etc. I'm going to clean the keys and blow some air into the ignition key slot but I'm really at a loss especially with no codes showing.

I greatly appreciate any help or point in the right direction.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:34 PM
PublicHair
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like maybe the IAC or TPS is bad.

I’m going based off memory though.. so not sure if those symptoms add up to those two parts.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:21 PM
TravisN.
Rookie

I would bet it's the ignition switch. Iac wouldn't do this if it doesn't matter what position the throttle is in and it still dies. Tps not likely, but possible. Sounds like it's a loose wire in the ignition.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:33 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Is the security light on when it shuts off? Sounds like the computer isn't recognizing the key and is killing the engine.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:01 AM
PublicHair
Banned

The vehicle won't even start if it doesn't sense a proper key (assuming you have chipped keys)

Old 01-01-2014, 10:21 PM
that_guy
Champion

Usually if it's acting up it will start for a couple seconds then die like that, at least that's what most people seem to say.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:07 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

Originally Posted by PublicHair
The vehicle won't even start if it doesn't sense a proper key (assuming you have chipped keys)
The security system in these trucks allow the truck to start and run for a few seconds and then it kills the ignition if it doesn't recognize the key. And to me, that sounds like the issue with the OP. For some reason, the security system is intermittently acting up and not recognizing the key. Maybe a loose wire somewhere on the ignition or computer I would assume

Old 01-02-2014, 02:30 AM
PublicHair
Banned

Right.

And the CTM controls the vehicles theft system.. Just FYI.
These modules are known to do things like these and go bad. Heck my Durango still randomly honks three times on unlock telling me someone tampered with my truck. Once or so a year be driving and interior lights randomly come on for a second while traveling.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:25 AM
that_guy
Champion

Mine's only ever acted up when the battery was going bad.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Genius

Thanks for the replies. Not sure if the security light stays on when it dies after a few seconds because problem has not repeated since my last post. I did go out and check for loose wires but didn't find anything noticeable. I'll post back when it happens again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Durango SLT Starts then Dies after 2-3 seconds