1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4 Wheel Alignment Woes

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 11:19 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Dude,

I hate anyone that even touches my truck and thats my opinion. I also posted it was only my opinion in my post. Regardless, each to their own opinion. Yes the dealers are closed up here and I never said thats where I took it. I HATE DEALERS! Yes it was a chain store which is Firestone and I have a lifetime alignment but I paid for the work so I can have it done when ever I want it done. But I still paid for it. Problem with shops and dealers are because they want the money but don't want to do the work their paid to do if they can get around it. Besides, it doesn't matter if I take it to a dealer or shop besides the parts used. Dealers however seem to screw everyone I come in contact with as well as myself and this is proved time and time again.

Originally Posted by eaglestorm
ok first I did not tell you come down to talk about it as a call out I have re read it and thats not the way I ment it your right . second I did not say it was hard to look up labor times but you have a misguided look at how things work . but maybe I missed it again is there a dodge dealer (chrysler) where you live we down here were to understand that they were all closed up well in to Idaho? so how is doing your alingment?
dealer or independit ? I wont be able to change your mind on dealers.There are alot of honest techs out there that you slam by your coments thats unfair. Yor right this post is way off now . and it's my fault
Now I'm having a hard time following your professional English and maybe that has something to do with it.

Further, thank you for proving all my points to the fullest extent on dealer/customer relations.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Nofrag
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglestorm
There are alot of honest techs out there that you slam by your coments thats unfair. Yor right this post is way off now . and it's my fault
I'd say it's equally unfair of you to slam the people that feed guys like you. I've worked in a shop, I know the pay sucks and people are annoying as hell, but you're coming off completely wrong dude. First of all, you're assuming that anyone who brings their vehicle to a shop is an idiot who doesn't have a clue how to do it themselves. Well, I'll tell you a secret, just about anybody with reading skills can look in a manual just as good as any other "tech", **** the reading skills are only a little important(torque specs and whatnot), because there's pictures. Sure there are folks that don't know how to check their oil, and you'll see them everyday. But a large chunk of your customers are going to be people who are paying for your equipment, not your ability to change parts. Take people like me for example, I've worked in a garage, I have all the hand and air tools that I would need in most situations(and some specialty tools too), but I live in an apartment.

When you go to work on monday, look around the shop and count the reasons why someone who actually does know what they're talking about might come to you. Then rethink how you look at your customers.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:06 AM
rckt64
Default 4 wheel align

Is it even possible to 4 wheel align? I do not see an adjustment for the rear on the spec sheet?

Old 09-26-2009, 01:12 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Welcome to the boards rckt64!!!!!!

Yes it is possible. We are not talking about a A-frame like a car that has adjustments. The rear axle doesn't move and is set at the factory to be close enough to true. The alignment machinist places lasers attached to your rims on the rear and also onto the front rims and brings the front end into match that of the rear. Also things like camber, height (if adjustable), and toe are set on the front end according to specifications.

A 2 wheel alignment only aligns the front wheel camber and toe.

Have you ever seen a truck driving down the road looking like it's driving off kilt or kinda sideways? The reason is it needs a 4 wheel alignment.

Most companies will do them for about $20 more. At the chain store "Firestone" you can buy a 2 wheel for about $59, a 4 wheel alignment for about $79 bucks, or a lifetime 4 wheel aglinment (when ever you want it done) for like $150. I always buy the lifetime and if you wait you can get it on sale for like $130.

Anytime you go off road wheeling, or every 15k or so you take it in and have it done....IMHO..... I take mine in yearly or whenever I wheel. Also if you ask the tech to "shake the front end down" this helps to find issues with worn parts in the front end. Also if you find strange ware patterns you can research it here:

Tire Ware Guide
http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...dtirewear.html

Old 09-26-2009, 03:04 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In 10 years, my D was aligned once. Oct 2008 when the BJs and TREs were replaced. There is very little need on a stock D to do this as often as other vehicles actually. Lifts, aftermarket replacement parts, etc could change the interval of each specific D accordingly.

IndyDurango

Old 09-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ericemery
Yeah, I am not worth the effort. your right. You might know your way around a vehicle, but its extremely obvious you have very little care for anyone who owns the vehicle your working on.
You're not worth the effort just because he didn't want to get in a fight with an admin

Old 09-27-2009, 04:37 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
In 10 years, my D was aligned once. Oct 2008 when the BJs and TREs were replaced. There is very little need on a stock D to do this as often as other vehicles actually. Lifts, aftermarket replacement parts, etc could change the interval of each specific D accordingly.

IndyDurango
Whenever you jolt the front end like 4 wheeling or work on ANY front end parts you should have it done.

This also filters into preventative maintenance. If you keep things moving it doesn't rust up. Also, I've seen tire companies not warranty tires for mileage warranties because of missing records for alignments. I don't however know the exact schedule for them but I would say about once per year in the least.

Here is more info on 4 wheel alignments:
http://www.familycar.com/Alignment.htm

Old 03-27-2010, 10:14 PM
bigd101
Amateur

I'm going to get a 4 wheel alignment in the next couple weeks. Car X has a deal for $60 bucks for the 4 wheel alignment. When they do it are they suppose to set the height back to factory if the front is too high?

Old 03-27-2010, 11:08 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by bigd101
I'm going to get a 4 wheel alignment in the next couple weeks. Car X has a deal for $60 bucks for the 4 wheel alignment. When they do it are they suppose to set the height back to factory if the front is too high?
They should set it back to OEM when doing this and remind them that you think it is out.

Quick Reply: 4 Wheel Alignment Woes