1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help! Changed Battery now it won't start!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:28 AM
thorze
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fuel pump assembly module, once you have it out of the tank, there are three tabs that allow it to slide up and down, press those in and pull the two halves apart. Then disc. the elec plug for the pump, then cut the clamps on the fuel line from the regulator and VOILA its disassembled..
I will check tomorrow on the voltage and get back to you,
I did check the sending unit while I had it out and it ohmed in the proper range but my fuel gauge still says empty...if that helps

Old 10-07-2009, 10:41 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

if it were me i would have just bought the new unit and put it in, less chance of making a mistake putting it back together (it is possible that you missed something) and the fuel pump unit is something i would ONLY BUY NEW just because of how hard it is to get to and the fact that its such a PITA to change

Old 10-08-2009, 11:26 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

^ I'm with sharp ^

Old 11-29-2009, 07:56 PM
thorze
Rookie
Default Fixed it

ALLRIGHHHHHHTTTY THEN

It sems that when I changed my battery I might have sparked something, not sure and fried the PCM or CKP not sure.

After changing the pump and still no fuel pressure checked for 5 volts at CMP,CKP,GVP,TPS and MAP no voltage, Checked PCM for power and had none.

Went and got a junkyard PCM brought it home threw it in and had fuel pressure finally but no spark?

Reset PCM and no spark still. Checked for reference voltage again at all sensors, showed 5 volts. Reset PCM again and tried to start again, no start and then fuel gauge dropped out and pump would not prime, ASD would not kick in.

Checked for reference voltage again at all sensors and nothing, fried the PCM again.

Went back to junkyard and traded for another one. Talked to a mechanic friend of mine and he told me he just got done with Jeep GC 5.2L that had a bad PCM due to a bad CKP and to try and replace CKP BEFORE installing new PCM. THAT DID THE TRICK!!!

Hope this helps some one else

Last edited by thorze; 11-29-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:21 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I didn't think that a camshaft position sensor could blow out a PCM? Although I have seen that many times that they go hand in hand if to much charge goes into the system like an arch or charger.

Thanks for the update though!!!!!!

Old 10-12-2011, 02:24 AM
hammerman33
Amateur

Originally Posted by thorze
I checked and it and the only one I found that big was a 140 amp fuse for Alternator, which checks Okay.
Bought the 54.94 pump off Ebay, which is just the pump and not the module, I will check back in with the results....
Thanks for the wisdom guys!
hi- just want you to know you will be better off buying the whole unit for about $120 or less because i just went through this and it was a pain to put in just the pump and then the pump was no good. i bought my good won from high flow "email is - sales@highflowfuel.com- after it was in i had the pressure i needed. wish you luck
p.s. sometimes cheaper is not a good deal

Old 10-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed, that is something that is best bought new....unless you enjoy droping the tank and replacing every couple of months

Old 10-12-2011, 01:19 PM
laz45
Veteran

Is everyone sure that Nofrag didn't figure it out? Kinda sounds like a VTSS issue no?

Old 10-17-2011, 03:33 PM
thorze
Rookie

hi- just want you to know you will be better off buying the whole unit for about $120 or less because i just went through this and it was a pain to put in just the pump and then the pump was no good. i bought my good won from high flow "email is - sales@highflowfuel.com- after it was in i had the pressure i needed. wish you luck
p.s. sometimes cheaper is not a good deal[/quote]

"hi- just want you to know"...The pump I got off ebay was from high flow fuel systems part # HFFS-379. Sorry for your bad luck with the pump replacement, I said in my post it was difficult, mine has been good for 2 years now. If I could have afforded the whole module at the time, 2 years ago for $180 I would have gone that route.

"p.s. sometimes cheaper is not a good deal"... true and well said, although I researched the company before I bought my "to good to be true" part, I also rigged it to the battery to see if it powered on before I put it back in just to be sure it worked.

Originally Posted by Old_School
Agreed, that is something that is best bought new....unless you enjoy droping the tank and replacing every couple of months
Well I've dropped at least a dozen tanks for fuel pumps before and I don't enjoy it one bit, that is why I put a good pump back in it and its been good for 2 years!!

Originally Posted by laz45
Is everyone sure that Nofrag didn't figure it out? Kinda sounds like a VTSS issue no?
It might be this issue for someone else but for me it was as I said in my previous post, once I replaced the crank sensor and put the new PCM in it has ran great ever since!!

Old 10-17-2011, 04:17 PM
laz45
Veteran

Something to watch for if I or anyone I know goes through it...Ty for the headsup Thorze.It's things like this that I charge batteries OUT of the car and won't let anyone hook jump cables to my rigs....I'm with the rest,didn't know a pcm could be taken out like this....One ?...Do you know the cause or just no way to tell??

Quick Reply: Help! Changed Battery now it won't start!!