1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Lost power steering assist

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 09:03 AM
jwils71
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost power steering assist

After searching multiple site, with no definitive answer, here is my issue...

2001 Durango SLT 4.7L 4x4
134,000 miles

Lost power steering assist. Fluid reservoir is full. Belt is tight. I've been all around the components and there are absolutely no leaks whatsoever.

I have not tried this, but will even though the post say's 1999...

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...rango-no-power

If this is the prob, question answered, if not, is it just in need of a new power steering pump?

As a weekend wrenchhead, with the help of a Chilton book, I'm confident in my ability to get the job done correctly.

Thought's? and thanks in advance for your replies!

Old 11-08-2009, 01:29 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Moved this post to the first generation Durango section as this is the general forum,
FF

Last edited by 1969CoronetR/T; 11-26-2014 at 07:59 AM. Reason: edited
Old 11-25-2014, 04:04 PM
thorze
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jwils71
After searching multiple site, with no definitive answer, here is my issue...

2001 Durango SLT 4.7L 4x4
134,000 miles

Lost power steering assist. Fluid reservoir is full. Belt is tight. I've been all around the components and there are absolutely no leaks whatsoever.

I have not tried this, but will even though the post say's 1999...

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...rango-no-power

If this is the prob, question answered, if not, is it just in need of a new power steering pump?

As a weekend wrenchhead, with the help of a Chilton book, I'm confident in my ability to get the job done correctly.

Thought's? and thanks in advance for your replies!

I know it's a really old thread..but...this thread should be stickyied as the answer given when following the link is right on and saved me a whole lot of time trying to figure out what was wrong as I had the exact same issue

I have just finished replacing pitman and idler arms, PS pump, steering box and tie rods, then went for a test drive and WOW what a difference!! Everything working good as new!! So we are getting a foot of snow tomorrow so I went to park the D on the side of the driveway out of the way and as I hit the bump stop I heard a squeal and SNAP and then I had no assist/power what so ever! Found this post went and pulled my belt and sure enough the shaft is snapped as my pulley moves about 1 1/2"!! So off to autozone to get a pump, I'm so glad it is this easy to fix

Quick Reply: Lost power steering assist