1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Dealer prices for mechanic work - what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 03:28 PM
oranrene
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer prices for mechanic work - what would you do?

Okay, in the last couple of years our 2001 Dodge Durango R/T has been acting up, various things here and there, and we neglected her. However, she finally left my son stranded for the first time ever and hubby and I realized she needed to be seen. After telling the dealer a few of the problems, here is what they found wrong and the prices - some of this stuff has been broken or not working long term...

Leaking AC line - $302.00
Radiator leaking, new one is - $482.00
O2 sensor (Bank 1, Sensor 1) - $279.00 Will fixing this help with gas mileage?
Drive belt tensioner falling apart - $234.00
Fuel system service - $170.00
Tranny serviced - $116.00
Front and Rear differential - $280.00
Transfer case service - $80.00
Replace power window (the elevator type of window, but glass is not broken) - $460.00!! That one sounds a little crazy considering I found the part we need for like 80 bucks online, but of course they want to replace the entire insides!

After all this, I will still need a resistor (front and rear for AC to blow, even though I bought a front one about a year ago, installed it, and then it went kaput with the rear recently), blinkers blink really fast and not sure why, heated seats try to work, but then you smell something burning, and a few other small things I can probably fix myself.

I'd rather put money into it than buy a new vehicle, as this Durango has been good to us (and cost us 19 grand cash 7 years ago) and cosmetically it still looks great inside and out. However, I don't want to be financially mugged by the dealership either. My husband is mechanically inclined, but some tools are an issue (and so is his temper when he works on my car...!), like the AC repair tools.

What would you guys have the dealer fix and what would you attempt on your own. My husband does have a grand amount of tools, just not "special" ones...

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Charlotte

Old 11-06-2009, 05:04 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pleaase repost in the first generation Durango section,
FF

Old 11-21-2009, 03:28 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Posting in the middle subsections is no-mans-land. Try here: 1st Gen Durango

I'll move this for you.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oranrene
Okay, in the last couple of years our 2001 Dodge Durango R/T has been acting up, various things here and there, and we neglected her. However, she finally left my son stranded for the first time ever and hubby and I realized she needed to be seen. After telling the dealer a few of the problems, here is what they found wrong and the prices - some of this stuff has been broken or not working long term...

Leaking AC line - $302.00
Radiator leaking, new one is - $482.00
O2 sensor (Bank 1, Sensor 1) - $279.00 Will fixing this help with gas mileage?
Drive belt tensioner falling apart - $234.00
Fuel system service - $170.00
Tranny serviced - $116.00
Front and Rear differential - $280.00
Transfer case service - $80.00
Replace power window (the elevator type of window, but glass is not broken) - $460.00!! That one sounds a little crazy considering I found the part we need for like 80 bucks online, but of course they want to replace the entire insides!

After all this, I will still need a resistor (front and rear for AC to blow, even though I bought a front one about a year ago, installed it, and then it went kaput with the rear recently), blinkers blink really fast and not sure why, heated seats try to work, but then you smell something burning, and a few other small things I can probably fix myself.

I'd rather put money into it than buy a new vehicle, as this Durango has been good to us (and cost us 19 grand cash 7 years ago) and cosmetically it still looks great inside and out. However, I don't want to be financially mugged by the dealership either. My husband is mechanically inclined, but some tools are an issue (and so is his temper when he works on my car...!), like the AC repair tools.

What would you guys have the dealer fix and what would you attempt on your own. My husband does have a grand amount of tools, just not "special" ones...

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Charlotte
Hi Charlotte,

If your husband is mechanically inclined, he should be able to replace some of the things on the list.

02 sensor
Belt tensioner
radiator
fluids on the axles and transfer case if he has the tools to lift the Durango to get under it.
replace power window. The part you found online is a complete assembly replacement. Easy to do also.
When you replace the resistors to get your blower to work, try to inspect the wiring harness and connectors to make sure it is not corroded due to moisture buildup on it.

As far as your heated seats, it may be a sign that one of the elements is about to short out. or maybe there is some seat material pinching against the elements causing burn.

The AC leak, you will have to take it to a A/C shop to fix that for you. They will have to evacuate your system after repairing the leak to purge out all comtaminants.
you can have the dealer do the tranny service. Make sure it is the type of service where they will readjust the bands, etc.... Transfer case service, not sure what they do on that. My transfer case, I just keep the fluids changed out on it. No other service are needed on the transfer case.

Please check out our DIY thread stickied on top of the 1st generation durango. Lots of how to's to address most of your problem list.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:57 PM
dolittle
Veteran

I've been a heavy equipment and diesel mechanic for 30 years.
I did repairs and oil changes to my friends cars for a long time when I quit they asked me what to do. I told them to find an independent shop with a good reputation and take their car there for services and small problems. Then get to know the shop foreman and the mechanics let them know that you are a good friend. Bring them cookies or just let them change your wiper blades.
Most friends will treat there other friends right. Don't go to the dealer just do the most important things first spreed it out. The Durango is a good machine wish you good luck.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:50 PM
rebelboy
Veteran

ship it to me ive got parts all over my back yard lmfao

Old 11-22-2009, 11:51 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

I took a 23 lbs bone in ham to my trany mechanic and man he does anything I need done at a discounted rate and he is ALWAYS right on time. He's VERY expensive but now he takes great care of me....

Now as for the cookies, that might be over the top.....LOL

Old 11-23-2009, 12:05 AM
rebelboy
Veteran

my buddy said hed paint my truck in his booth for a 12 inch sub from subway

Old 11-24-2009, 11:32 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

I'd get him a "$5 dolla foot long"!

Quick Reply: Dealer prices for mechanic work - what would you do?