1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rotella 5w-40 in a 4.7 opinions + MMO

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:20 PM
twhman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotella 5w-40 in a 4.7 opinions + MMO

I am getting ready to change the oil in my new to me 2002 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 with 72K on it. Since I don't know the history I was thinking of running Rotella 5w-40 synthetic in it - I know it has a excellent additive package and I suspect it would be a good cleaner since it is also diesel rated - which might be good with the sludge rep of the 4.7. I think 10w-30 is the factory recommended fill. But I thought the 5w-40 covered the range pretty well and may give a little bit better protection in the summer. I would think the 5 would be okay on a winter start.

Should I put a cup of MMO in the oil too - that may lower the viscosity slightly and my old mechanic said that MMO in the oil was not a bad idea.

What do you think about the Rotella and/or the MMO - I would appreciate your opinions?

Old 12-16-2009, 09:56 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

well a couple of things, switching to a full sythetic is a good idea, but keep in mind if you have any "almost" leaking spots they will now leak with the full synthetic in it, just use whatever the owners manual suggests for the temperature range that you see in your area of the country, the add ons in the oil is just that - snake oil, and useless you really dont gain anything from them so dont waste your money.

and another thank you for increasing the google search engine hits on this page

the sludge issues in the 4.7 (or any dodge motor) are all MYTHS and not true so long as you maintain the truck correctly. sludge is ALWAYS an issue with lack of maintance on one specific instance of the engine, not an issue with the engine itself so dont worry about that as long as you keep up with the maintenance on it

Old 12-16-2009, 11:20 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, keep up a regular maintenance schedule and your D will last a long time. Okay, I'ma say sludge just to help with the count!

Old 12-16-2009, 11:20 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

10W30... ONLY.

Mobil1 IMHO.

IndyDurango

Old 12-16-2009, 11:34 PM
rebelboy
Veteran
Talking

ya i can can say that thier is no sluge in my engine with 170k becouse i have a hole in the engine so obviously i can see the insides their shiny clean LMFAO

Old 12-16-2009, 11:35 PM
rebelboy
Veteran
Talking +1

ya i can can say that thier is no sluge in my engine with 170k becouse i have a hole in the engine so obviously i can see the insides their shiny clean LMFAO

Old 12-17-2009, 01:30 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by twhman
I am getting ready to change the oil in my new to me 2002 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 with 72K on it. Since I don't know the history I was thinking of running Rotella 5w-40 synthetic in it - I know it has a excellent additive package and I suspect it would be a good cleaner since it is also diesel rated - which might be good with the sludge rep of the 4.7. I think 10w-30 is the factory recommended fill. But I thought the 5w-40 covered the range pretty well and may give a little bit better protection in the summer. I would think the 5 would be okay on a winter start.

Should I put a cup of MMO in the oil too - that may lower the viscosity slightly and my old mechanic said that MMO in the oil was not a bad idea.

What do you think about the Rotella and/or the MMO - I would appreciate your opinions?
For your questions: Use Mobil one 10W-30 Fully Synthetic and a good filter. This Fully Synthetic has a very good cleaner to help you IF you have any crap in there. Your factory fill for normal opperations is 10W-30. 10W-40 has a hi shear ratio so don't use it. In cold applications (cold winter use) use 5W-30. But regardless, if you use Mobil one Fully Synthetic 10W-30 you won't need to use a 5W-30 because it already flows at -56 degrees F like water. This is one of the reasons to run Fully Synthetics especially in winter!

Do not use any type of additives!!!!!!! Unless you are a Chemical Engineer and know what your doing then you would know that you should not use them. Don't give in to the pressures!

Now do you need to use Mobil one, no. But they use a Polyalphaolefin base and not a Hydo cracked mineral oil as a base.

Shell ROTELLA® SB Synthetic-Blend
states on it's MSDS sheet that it is a blend???? "Rottela Fully Synthetic" is acually a Synthetic Blend of "Blend of polyolefins and additives" which sounds equally as good of a base oil compared to Mobil One, but I still am a Mobil One man.

Company site: http://www.shellusserver.com/msds/search.php

Supporting Documentation: http://www.equivashellmsds.com/Displ....asp?ID=149387

Old 12-17-2009, 01:47 AM
rebelboy
Veteran

amsoil son

Old 12-17-2009, 12:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rebelboy
amsoil son
Over rated but good.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:28 PM
bigd101
Amateur

when I first bought my durango I used castrol and then this last change I had it changed at wal-mart and they used valvoline. Will it hurt my engine at all if I switch to another brand? I heard it can but wasn't sure. I'm wanting to switch to the mobil1 full synthetic like you guys talk about. I have a 2003 durango slt+ 4.7L AWD

Quick Reply: Rotella 5w-40 in a 4.7 opinions + MMO