1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Heater core

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:17 PM
pjbellue
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I am going to tackle this task very soon, but would like to know why the blower motor and the evap need to be replaced? Also for those that have done this just by removing the steering column whats the secret. Duranged408, what is your secret or tips? Do I have to touch the AC or can it be done without?
99 4x4 5.9.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:28 PM
TurboStixx
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this last weekend. Was not fun, but not hard. I did touch the AC, just because I wanted to pull the entire box out because it is really really tight to get all the screws to pop the top on the heater core box to remove it.

Take the kick panels off the dash
Drop the steering wheel (easy, only 4 nuts)
then just look and you will see how to remove all the blots to get the dash to move.
I did it without actually taking the dash all the way out, Just had someone pull it back while I pulled the heater core out. Pretty easy, once you get going, you will figure out what exactly you HAVE to do and what you don't have to do. As someone said to me when I did this last weekend, this one takes more patience than mechanical skill. and particular questions you might have I will be happy to answer for you.

I did not replace my blower motor. But the reason for the exaporator needing to be changed is the fact that the time it was probably changed last was when the heater core was changed last, which means it might be going bad again, and after doing it, you probably won't want to again (just like me) I didn't do the blower motor though

Old 02-17-2012, 04:41 PM
ICEDODGE
Amateur

Hello all Dodge Durango experts.
I have been dealing with foggy windows, mildew smell and No A/C due to some leaky lines in the rear heater/cooler. No problems with the A/C, not needed in Iceland, but the foggy windows and bad smell in the car made me think of the heater core system. Soooo, I decided after reading about all the symptoms of a leaky core, that the dash had to come out and ordered a new heater core. After a day of demolishing my beloved Durango, I finally got the core system out of the car. What a pain to get to the lowest nut close to the vent line. It took me about 40 minutes to do through the wheel bay.
Was very excited to open up the core box to see a rotten core, but to my disappointment, no sign of any leak in the box. Nothing!!!!!, everything looked fine???
WTF, going through all this work for nothing. What else could cause this smell and foggy windows???? The car is not leaking. Can you experts tell me what I am dealing with??
Appreciate any help.
ICEDODGE
DURANGO 2001 SLT+

Old 02-17-2012, 10:46 PM
KimberlyAnn7911

So, next time my heater core goes out I'd call on one of you, assuming it wasnt across country=), mine was just replaced and the "genius" who did mine didnt even put the dash back together right...now when it says your in "park", your not, your probably in "nuetral". So good job to all of you that can do it efficiently and quickly, your some of the few!

Old 02-18-2012, 01:29 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is a little white adjuster under your dash on the drivers side. Remove the drivers knee panel, look under it and you will see the 2 rails that hold it up and the little white adjuster. Just turn the adjuster and the orange indicator will move. Just set it to the right position. This only applies to the 1998-1999 models. There could be some 2000's in there, any that have a manual gear indicator and not electronic.

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
You DO NOT adjust the shift cable to adjust the orange indicator in the instrument cluster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave the shift cable alone!

To adjust the orange indicator there is a small adjuster located inside the cab under the dash directly under the steering column. Basically you remove the knee panel off the dash directly under the steering wheel. Then look level at each main bracket on the under side, on the left side there is a small white colored adjuster with a small wheel on one side and you twist the wheel to adjust the orange indicator. In this TSB it shows this picture: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/08-05-00.htm

Old 09-04-2012, 10:02 PM
jsnm
Amateur

Just purchased a 99 Durango a week ago,coolant leaking on my pass side floor mat.
Not too excited to tackle this job this weekend,but needs to be done.
Is there any other parts I should replace while I'm in this project?
I'm looking at a core,blower motor,and possibly the rear core as well while I'm doing all this.
Is the A/C evaporator necessary?

Old 09-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsnm
Just purchased a 99 Durango a week ago,coolant leaking on my pass side floor mat.
Not too excited to tackle this job this weekend,but needs to be done.
Is there any other parts I should replace while I'm in this project?
I'm looking at a core,blower motor,and possibly the rear core as well while I'm doing all this.
Is the A/C evaporator necessary?

I would replace the A/C evaporator while your in there... otherwise you'll be pulling the whole dash apart again when it goes.. plus you will have to discharge the A/C system anyways to remove the box to replace the heater core anyways.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:59 AM
jsnm
Amateur

Good call thanks for the tip.Is their any other gaskets or hoses I should pick up before I tackle it this weekend?

Old 09-18-2012, 04:02 PM
tank99Dango
Professional

I am going to try to flush mine out first with a water hose, and hopefully lady luck is on my side. It took me a while to figure out that's what my problem was...it was the smell that pinpointed it. But yes, I am not looking forward to doing that "dash-ectomy" if I have to replace the heater core, I may just go to the junk yard and pull an entire HVAC unit out first to see what complications I might run in to before attempting mine. I don't recall seeing a price on the junkyard pricing list for the whole unit, and the heater core is only $19...I may get lucky.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tank99Dango
I am going to try to flush mine out first with a water hose, and hopefully lady luck is on my side. It took me a while to figure out that's what my problem was...it was the smell that pinpointed it. But yes, I am not looking forward to doing that "dash-ectomy" if I have to replace the heater core, I may just go to the junk yard and pull an entire HVAC unit out first to see what complications I might run in to before attempting mine. I don't recall seeing a price on the junkyard pricing list for the whole unit, and the heater core is only $19...I may get lucky.

I would not waste you time with a junkyard heater core when you can get a NEW one for 25-30 bucks.

Quick Reply: Heater core