1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

More HP's?!?!

Old 01-21-2010, 02:19 PM
rjkeyser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb More HP's?!?!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get more horse power out of a 99 5.9L durango motor? Im talking all, cheap, quick, easy, long, expensive, everything, even the do-it-urselfers. Anyone have any luck with a certain product, if so, where, what, and how much?! Thankyou folks.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

408 stroker/pro-charger/transmission/heads/gears/headers/cam/n2/exhaust/programmer/intake
*highest to lowest

Old 01-21-2010, 08:51 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Originally Posted by Duranged408
408 stroker/pro-charger/transmission/heads/gears/headers/cam/n2/exhaust/programmer/intake
*highest to lowest
Of that list, the gears is the biggest bang for the buck. My truck is day and night different with the 4.56:1 gears instead of the 3.55:1 stock gears it had.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8scott72
Of that list, the gears is the biggest bang for the buck. My truck is day and night different with the 4.56:1 gears instead of the 3.55:1 stock gears it had.
Was your MPG day and night different also?

Old 01-21-2010, 09:51 PM
SumAmerican
Professional

The cheap stage 1 stuff is always where to start..
new plugs/ cap/rotor/ wires / intake / coil /
You can always keep adding.. You will get the most from getting more air into the engine.. stock exhaust is pretty good and the only thing you'll get from upgrading is a louder note..

Old 01-21-2010, 11:52 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 01-22-2010, 11:45 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensai
Was your MPG day and night different also?
with what he was towing with the truck, i doubt that he noticed a difference in that deparment

Old 01-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Dislander
Professional

Just think of the engine as a big air pump. the more you can get in and out the more power you make. I would, start with the exhaust.This is assuming you have already done all the maint stuff cap, rotor, wires(might as well get good ones). then start working on the intake side. if you can get more air in but not more out, freeing up the intake first will gain you little.
Around this point you can start to take advantage of retuning modules & when you've maxed out with bolt-on's start looking at the real power, the motor itself. cams compression ect.
A good coil would be reccomended but I don't think you'd see much from an ignition box till you crack into the motor.
Once you get past the chip other bolt-on's may gain you fractional increases but they will not register so much on the ***-o-meter.

Gears, if you can afford them & especially if you have larger tires are great for pull out of the hole (if you have larger tires you may get better mpg's) but can cost you on the highway.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to say that when you picture the engine as an air pump. Intake and exhaust both needs to be done. One side won't do better without the other. You can upgrade exhaust but do no good if intake is restricting and vice versa.

But for the most part, people will start with the intake first. Mainly because it is cheaper and easy to do vs the exhaust. Usually upgrading will start top of the engine and work towards the bottom.

For me, I started with replacing the paper filter for K&N factory replacement, then upgraded to a bigger throttle body, then made a custom ram air to draw more cool air. Exhaust will be one of the last things for me to do as I don't have a budget for it yet. Still working on saving up to replace the heater core and build a custom bypass for it.

If and when I do get exhaust upgrade, I will try to get a tru-dual setup or go catback by getting a much bigger diameter Y-pipe and maybe 3 inch straight pipe to the cat and muffler and then duals out from the muffler. Never been a header fan, never had one that lasted more than a couple years.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:46 AM
Dislander
Professional

So, by virtue of the fact you do not have the exhaust done yet, you're advocating starting with the intake? or is it just a cost issue? because if you seek performance bang for buck, exhaust is the way to go. one doesn't have to buy a kit, just get a better flowing muffler. you say the stocker is a fine flowing unit. compared to what?

stock mufflers are very restrictive. designed to be pleasing to the sensitive ears of the soccer mom, not to flow at its greatest potential.

I'm not saying do a y-pipe. more would need to be done to the motor in order to justify the cost vs potential gain.

If your constipated do you stuff in more food?

Search this Thread