1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99durango blwr problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 01:24 PM
deedl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99durango blwr problem

I've lookt for hrs. Trying to find a resolution to a weak blwr in all selections.any answers out there.have heat just no thrust at vents.sometimes it speeds up. Dazed and confused at 48. Whew!

Old 12-30-2009, 01:41 PM
brad8266
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check voltage at the motor with a voltmeter. If its low swapping the blower resistor might do the trick.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for above post - pwr to blower connector on right in pic, 99 durango
Name:  hc4.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  7.0 KB

Old 08-04-2021, 10:08 AM
sporta
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by deedl
I've lookt for hrs. Trying to find a resolution to a weak blwr in all selections.any answers out there.have heat just no thrust at vents.sometimes it speeds up. Dazed and confused at 48. Whew!
Originally Posted by brad8266
Check voltage at the motor with a voltmeter. If its low swapping the blower resistor might do the trick.

Very old thread but worth a shot. Currently in my 2000 Durango I'm getting very weak fan output AFTER changing the darn resistor from hades. I'm looking at some corrosion in the PDC under the hood on the fan relay (cleaning that later this morning) but what else am I missing? Will also check voltage at the fan as well.
Steve

Old 08-04-2021, 06:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Make sure the circuit has a good ground as well.

The following users liked this post:
sporta (08-04-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 04:05 PM
sporta
Veteran

Originally Posted by sporta
Very old thread but worth a shot. Currently in my 2000 Durango I'm getting very weak fan output AFTER changing the darn resistor from hades. I'm looking at some corrosion in the PDC under the hood on the fan relay (cleaning that later this morning) but what else am I missing? Will also check voltage at the fan as well.
Steve
Originally Posted by HeyYou
Make sure the circuit has a good ground as well.
OK update time.....

Corrosion cleaned off the PDC. Cleaned and tested the relay. Checked the switch and it seems to be working fine. Pulled the glove box out and checked the wiring to the fan. Using multi meter found out that I'm 12.3 volts to the connector....still no fan running. On a whim, used a Ryobi 18v portable battery to momentarily jump the fan itself....it spun up like, well, a fan on HIGH speed. Connected everything back together and tested....no fan. So I'm confuzzled now....On a side note, I finally reached the end of my proverbial rope with the alternator and pulled it and had it bench tested at Napa (where I got it) and it 100% FAILED all tests. Will be replacing it now....could the alternator be a root cause of the fan not working? Something along the line of because the battery was barely at 12.3 volts and not receiving a charge, there wasn't enough juice to power the fan properly ???? Grasping for straws as I REALLY don't want to pull the effing dash to get to the blower motor.

Any suggestions?

Steve

Old 08-06-2021, 06:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

OK update time.....

Corrosion cleaned off the PDC. Cleaned and tested the relay. Checked the switch and it seems to be working fine. Pulled the glove box out and checked the wiring to the fan. Using multi meter found out that I'm 12.3 volts to the connector....still no fan running. On a whim, used a Ryobi 18v portable battery to momentarily jump the fan itself....it spun up like, well, a fan on HIGH speed. Connected everything back together and tested....no fan. So I'm confuzzled now....On a side note, I finally reached the end of my proverbial rope with the alternator and pulled it and had it bench tested at Napa (where I got it) and it 100% FAILED all tests. Will be replacing it now....could the alternator be a root cause of the fan not working? Something along the line of because the battery was barely at 12.3 volts and not receiving a charge, there wasn't enough juice to power the fan properly ???? Grasping for straws as I REALLY don't want to pull the effing dash to get to the blower motor.

Any suggestions?

Steve
That's possible, but, I don't know if it actually works that way.

Try testing continuity to ground for the fan. If you have power, then not having ground will prevent it from working.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:32 PM
sporta
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's possible, but, I don't know if it actually works that way.

Try testing continuity to ground for the fan. If you have power, then not having ground will prevent it from working.
Unfortunately it didn't work I did check for ground continuity last night, connected both lines, backprobed the ground wire and got continuity to ground when I checked it.....it appears that the dash will have to be tackled....Anyone got any tips on how to "partially remove" the dash enough to get the fan motor swapped out????

Thanks,
Steve

Old 09-07-2021, 08:34 PM
sporta
Veteran

Unfortunately it didn't work I did check for ground continuity last night, connected both lines, backprobed the ground wire and got continuity to ground when I checked it.....it appears that the dash will have to be tackled....Anyone got any tips on how to "partially remove" the dash enough to get the fan motor swapped out????

Thanks,
Steve
Well, think it was a "perfect sh*t storm" situation....I ended up partially pulling the dash and was able to replace the blower fan and the chewed up wires on the resistor. After lots of cussing and effort she is back together and working great. I also added enough wire to pull the resistor out into the engine bay (donor plug from the junkyard was cut off right at the wiring harness of the donor and spliced at the end of the resistor where the wires were chewed up.

Accessing the fan...replacement already in.

Wire damage at the resistor
Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

Thanks again for all the help

Steve

Quick Reply: 99durango blwr problem