1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Durango problems

Old 04-29-2019, 02:36 PM
Ecampbe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango problems

Hello my name is Eric. I have a 2000 dodge Durango. I bought it almost 2 yrs ago and that owner for whatever reason put universal freeze plugs all around the motor. One at a time they would blow out when I would pass someone or whatever. They caused nothing but a headache. BUT this last one to blow was on back of block I didnt know it blew because its between tranny. So I blew head gasket on driver side... ordered 2 new heads new lifters timing chain gaskets once I got it running I had som clatter from driver side so I got another set of lifters. Same noise but it move over a couple valves. It seems like lifters are bottoming out and the plunger is sticking or something. All torqued to 21ft lbs. Any ideas

Old 04-29-2019, 04:25 PM
gvsu4msu
Professional

Check your manifold bolts. If they are broken, this can also create a "clicking/ticking" noise.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

What engine? What kind of shape is was the cam in? Think I would re-torque the rockers, making sure that both valves were fully closed before doing so.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:05 PM
Ecampbe
Default Hey you

Its the 5.9 360. It's only on one side. And I'm pretty niticuless about these things. I have never had this kind of problem and I have built numerous motors. All components of motor look good up top. I have 40 lbs oil pressure at idle warm

Old 04-30-2019, 09:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

See if you can isolate where the ticking is coming from. Several items under the hood can make some interesting noises.... injectors, exhaust leaks, etc. If it IS the valve train...... check clearances between rocker, and valve stem......

Old 05-01-2019, 12:24 AM
car5car
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
See if you can isolate where the ticking is coming from. Several items under the hood can make some interesting noises.... injectors, exhaust leaks, etc. If it IS the valve train...... check clearances between rocker, and valve stem......
you can locate cylinder with noisy lifter, then remove valve cover and look. Start engine with valve cover off for a few seconds, maybe you'll see rocker arm w/o oil.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:59 PM
Ecampbe

Originally Posted by car5car
you can locate cylinder with noisy lifter, then remove valve cover and look. Start engine with valve cover off for a few seconds, maybe you'll see rocker arm w/o oil.
all valve have oil its #1 valves my rockers are. None adjustable pedestal mount

Old 05-04-2019, 08:18 PM
Ecampbe

Valves are getting oil I pulled valve cover and checked with running. Since i changed heads is there any way that when I torque the rocker arm bolts that they are tightening down to far. I have had it apart 4 times now and getting really burned out on the matter

Old 05-04-2019, 09:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Shoulder bolts, are they not? You shouldn't be able to thread them in too far. Besides, that would have the rockers too tight.... it wouldn't make any noise, and if you went way too far, it would hold the valve open, and you would have a dead cylinder.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:12 AM
Ecampbe

I just snuggled them up and then torqued to 21ft lbs in firing order. I dont know why I'm having problems I have put 2 new sets of lifters never had these problems before

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Durango problems