1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4.7 rebuild kit help

Old 01-03-2010, 01:06 AM
ljhopp
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7 rebuild kit help

Where can I get a rebuild ket for a 4.7 along with a crankshaft kit. Should this take care of my rod bearing knock along with giving me plenty of more miles to put on the jeep.

Is this worth doing to a engine that has 160,000 miles. Or since my engine has high miles am I better off putting in crankshaft kit to fix the knock and drive it till she goes.

Thanks

The site I have for a crankshaft kit is-http://www.rockauto.com

Old 01-03-2010, 02:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Why not just drop the motor and have it checked and milled? Let them reman your crank and check out the bottom end. Then you do the rest!

I've always just pulled em out and taken the short block over to NAPA machine shop and let them do their job. Then get everything back in pieces and put it together. Do a head job and put in some GOOD head gaskets and finish.

The problem with just swapping is you don't know if it's a main bearing, rod bearing, or wrist bearing. But you could pull the pan and see what the Main/rod bearings look like and go from there. Maybe you will be down in the copper and just a replacement bearing set will do for another 50K or better.

The main thing firt is to pull the pan and see wht you got.....And post pictures here!!!!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:33 AM
monziac

Dont cut corners do the whole thing. I bought and stand by a kit on ebay from a distributor called Muzimo auto. The kit was WAY cheaper than rockauto or anyone else and I assembled without issue. Runs great. Did the whole rebuild including block and crank work etc for $1300.

Jon

Old 01-04-2010, 04:20 PM
bjamick

Are you sure it's rod knock your getting?

Sure it's not just the lifters/valvetrain making the noise? You could do a simple rebuild like bearings, rings, and gaskets plus the machine work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.7 rebuild kit help