1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

elec aux radiator fan stays on

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 01:18 AM
fredlg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default elec aux radiator fan stays on

Looking for a bit of help. 2001 5.9 durango. Aux radiator fan will not turn off, even after engine is turned off and cooled down. Will simply drain the battery till dead. Any ideas?
Thanks..

Old 04-23-2005, 10:51 PM
henry75
Veteran
Default RE: elec aux radiator fan stays on

check the relay

Old 07-24-2005, 08:33 PM
KyferEz

I have a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT V8 2WD that developed the exact same problem today. It occured after 2 hours of idling and low-speed driving. We got home and the fan remained on. I thought it was engine temp related so I left it foa about an hour.

After an hour or so I went back to check on the Durango. The fan was still on, so I started and stopped the durango several times, no change. I found the fan fuse in the fuse box in the engine compartment and removed it to keep it from draining the battery.

I haven't done as suggested by the other member to check the relay: will attempt to find it later. If I can find it, I'll post the results. I'm an electronics guy - not by any means a mechanic...

KyferEz

Old 07-24-2005, 09:38 PM
KyferEz

Ok, the fuse has been removed for about 2 hours now. I plugged the fuse back in and the fan didn't come on. I started the Durango up, turned it off. Fan remained off.

I think it may be due to a faulty sensor??? However the temp gauge reads normal temps. Maybe there is more than 1 temp sensor?

Oh well; if it happens again I'll let you know.

KyferEz

Old 07-25-2005, 02:49 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Now I just got done reading the book on this sensor. It said that there should only be 1 sensor. It should be right next to the thermostat housing, small with 2 wires coming out of it just to the left about 3 inches away on the edge of the intake manifold. The book said that it is wired to the PMC and then it goes to the dash, but it also does other things in the PMC. Try replacing it?

Quick Reply: elec aux radiator fan stays on