See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Replace Master Cylinder with ABS

Old 04-07-2010, 12:06 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like you had a something stuck in the partitioning valve causing the brakes to not bleed back or something to that matter. I take it you flushed the fluid?

Brake fluid is neglected in almost EVERY truck or car. For a couple of bucks you can save yourself a LOT of heart ache including ABS systems-the whole nine yards. Thanks for the lesson!

Old 04-07-2010, 04:06 PM
NCDurango
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can say with confidence that if you boiled the fluid, you wouldn't have had any brakes at all or at least very little. I boiled the fluid on the track in Kershaw SC in August going into turn 1. It wasn't the heat (not directly) because the brakes generate several hundred degrees on their own especially with this heavy truck and those little brakes (my 98 GTI had bigger brakes stock).

I never considered the proportioning valve having an issue. Perhaps rust or crud from not flushing the fluid is the culprit. I plan to do my hoses this week and bleed the brakes at the same time. I hope it solves the problem

Old 04-21-2010, 09:25 PM
NCDurango
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well.... I changed the hoses and no change. I changed the Master cylinder and the problem changed but didn't go away. After the MC it started pulling to the left so, i changed both calipers. after 2 days in charlotte traffic it seems to be resolved (fingers crossed). BTW: There was no need to take it to the dealer to bleed the ABS. standard bleeding procedures worked fine.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:07 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

if you didnt let any air get into the abs module you dont need the dealer to bleed it, that is only if you get a new unit or let air into it.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:11 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
if you didnt let any air get into the abs module you dont need the dealer to bleed it, that is only if you get a new unit or let air into it.
+1 on that sharps!

Some shops have ABS machines but few and far between because their so expensive. Most of the time dealer is the place to go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace Master Cylinder with ABS