1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

46RE issues, 1999 Durango 5.9L

Old 05-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Computerjnkman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46RE issues, 1999 Durango 5.9L

I recently picked up a 1999 Durango, 5.9L 4wd. Grabbed it super cheap due to the fact that there was transmission problems. Now I have managed to drag it home.

The situation is, It goes into drive/reverse/2/1/ overdrive on/off seem to be functioning and also 2H/4H/N/4L and all seem to be ok, but when you hit the gas, it just creeps, it feels like a slip, but it never actually grabs gear, It kinda feels like driving through really deep mud. I have got it to shift into second, but even after the shift it still feels the same.

When I got it home, I checked the fluid and it was pretty much black and smelled like death. So, changed fluid and filter, and checked for any improvements, but it is still acting the same.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions. I would take it to a tranny shop to have it looked at, but, it's hard to get it around, it's big and I hate to put money in it for a tow, cause I am not sure if it is worth my time yet.

The Check engine light is on, I don't have a code checker to find out what it is on for, I do plan to go down to the local auto parts store and borrow theirs, but in the mean time, just looking for suggestions.

Thanks

Old 05-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Moneyman19
Captain

I'm not that fimiliar with transmissions but the way ur talking im thinking it could be the clutch has gone? i mean if u said u can get it to shift that it sounds okay. if not the gears might have gone aswell... you really dont know until u take it down and pop it open.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Computerjnkman

Yeah, I have a feeling it could be clutch related, but Was really hoping that there may be a chance it is the Valve body, or better yet, a bad sensor. The pan was pretty gooped up with clutch powder, but really didn't see any metal shavings.

I was just hoping not to break the trans loose if I didn't have to!!

Thank you

Old 05-05-2010, 03:52 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

there is no clutch in the 46RE transmissions they are automatic, the clutch packs (different from a clutch) could have broken up, but i would wait for master-tech to chime in, he is the local transmission expert

Old 05-05-2010, 09:22 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like a rebuild.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:49 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

If the transmission feels like it slipping. Your transmission clutch packs are most likely burnt up. Time for an overhaul or reman trans. If you do have the transmission replaced or overhauled. Be sure to flush the transmission cooler lines.this is a must do!! Or you will fry another trans.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Computerjnkman

Thanks guys.

I have stumbled across a well priced remanufactured 46Re from a 2001. Do you know if I will have any issues with this, being my Durango is a 1999. I am assuming that it should be the same, but just checking.

And thank you Master tech.....I would not have thought about flushing the lines.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:52 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

They are the same. Flush that thing good and only use ATF+4 to do it. You might think about replacing the radiator while your at it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 46RE issues, 1999 Durango 5.9L