1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

'01 Durango - Alarm keeps going off

Old 05-05-2010, 09:01 PM
s@squ@tch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 Durango - Alarm keeps going off

Security alarm goes off most of the time when I unlock the doors -- with both the key and the remote fob.

WTF?

I have to hit the panic button on the fob once to stop the alarm, then again to stop the panic horns.

Anyone else see this issue? I'd hate to drag it into the dealership and end up financing some kids college education.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:31 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Put lock all the doors manually and close all doors with the drivers door shut lastly. Insert the key into the drivers side door and turn it like you are trying to lock it (counter clock). Now turn it all the way to the other side like you are trying to unlock the door (clock) and you will see the lock come up. Now turn the key to the middle position and remove key. Now open the door. DO NOT USE THE KEY FOB WHILE DOING THIS.

This is how to complete a full reset of the alarm.

Hope it fixes the issue!

Last edited by hydrashocker; 05-06-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:23 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

do what hydra said, hes usually right

Old 11-02-2010, 03:12 PM
trudinator
Amateur
Smile alarm going off

We had the same problem! It has now progressed to a failure of the automatic door locks about 3/4 of the time. When not working, with the key in the "on" position, the interior lights all flicker. You have to use the key to unlock the door; the inside door lock button doesn't work either. Then the only way to lock the doors is to lock them from inside with the key in the "on" position. Started a few months ago - the alarm would go off when trying to open with the fob, then it gradually progressed to this. Not that we can't live with it this way, it's just annoying.

We'll try resetting the alarm and see if that works. We'll keep you posted.

Thanks everyone, for the great tips. We're finding this forum very helpful as we strive to keep our D in great working order. This is one tough little vehicle. I love it and want to keep it on the road as long as possible. Up until this year, we hadn't really experienced any major issues. But now that it's over 100K, it's starting to give us some problems. Hopefully we can keep up with them without breaking the bank.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:43 AM
mackie

I just bought a 2000 and there is no Security fob. The previous owner said I had to unlock the passenger side with the key first and then unlock the rest of the doors OTHERWISE the alarm goes off. I am going to dig into the electronics a bit more as the guy said he thinks it was an aftermarket alarm with a remote start.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:41 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Remove it!

Old 12-01-2011, 04:18 PM
michelle0617
Default alarm

We tried locking the doors and turning key and that didn't work.Under the hood in the first fuse box is a black "clip" that appears to have 2 or 3 fuses in it.If we unhook this the lights will stop flashing but as soon as you open the door it will start flashing again.Thanks for all the advice I will try anything!!!!

Old 10-30-2014, 10:32 PM
aussie
Smile truck wont start due to alarm

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Put lock all the doors manually and close all doors with the drivers door shut lastly. Insert the key into the drivers side door and turn it like you are trying to lock it (counter clock). Now turn it all the way to the other side like you are trying to unlock the door (clock) and you will see the lock come up. Now turn the key to the middle position and remove key. Now open the door. DO NOT USE THE KEY FOB WHILE DOING THIS.

This is how to complete a full reset of the alarm.

Hope it fixes the issue!

Old 10-30-2014, 10:35 PM
aussie

two work shops couldnt figger it out thank you hydrashocker

Old 05-14-2015, 10:52 PM
serin
Default reset system did not woek

I bought 1999 Durango at auction.I've been stuck in a parking lot for 8 he's.tried everything on here. How do u dismantle. Everything is dead now except the damn alarm.please help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '01 Durango - Alarm keeps going off