1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Could it be short or something simpler?

Old 05-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Al
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could it be short or something simpler?

My 99 Durango died on me getting to work the other day, but made to the parking lot. Thinking it was the alternator not charging the battery took it off and took it to get tested and it passed as still good. So took the battery to Sears and they told me it was bad, got another since it was under warranty. Today "check gauges" light came on and the battery gauge barely reached the first line.

What can be wrong? A short? Battery not being charged or maybe the alternator now going bad now? Never changed it since I bought the suv, 8yrs now. Any ideas from you Durango Gurus?

Please Help!!

Old 05-17-2010, 06:18 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

Make sure that the connector is plugged in on your altenator and fully seated. Clean both battery terminals. Maybe the battery was not fully charged and your altenator was working double duty causing one of the diodes to burn out esp. being that old.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:05 PM
SumAmerican
Professional

a bad alternator is some times hard to tell.. make the obvious check for corrosion and good grounds all around your big three (engine to ground[-], alt to bat[+], bat to ground[-]) if it will run with having to apply gas pedal then it could be the alternator, even tho they said it was good.. Also the Battery gauge on the dash reads the amperage coming outta the charging system, it has mostly to do with the alternator..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Could it be short or something simpler?