1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

No Bus or Should I take the bus.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 09:52 AM
NxtGoRnd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Bus or Should I take the bus.

Hello everyone thanks for letting me join been a long time member of Dodge Cummins Forum and several Jeep and motorcycle forums, sure wish this much information would have been around when I was young I am 67 and doing my on maintenance and repair all my life.

I purchased a 1999 Dodge Durango a week and a half ago, 5.2 with 44re may not have been the best decision I have made. I test drove the truck owner said it had intermittent transmission problems but the trans had been rebuilt and something electrical was wrong. The truck drove fine but in limp mode I believe never changing gears. The owner had a tech print out of trouble code PO753. After a looking up the code and possible problems I made an offer and bought it.

Hooked my car hauler to my Ram 3500 and brought it home, raining hard I left it on the trailer. Next morning I started it and backed it of the trailer shut it off, I got my code reader out ad pulled the codes P1765, PO340, PO743 and PO748 I had red about grounding the pink wire at the PCM and did that when I tried to start it I got the no bus. I took the ground of the pink wire at the PM and still had same result.

I have 5 volts at the map sensor and TPS and have unplugged everything I can find and the no bus remains unplugged Map sensor, TPS sensor, Crankshaft sensor, Camshaft sensor, Trans speed sensor on tail shaft still have 5 volts and no bus.

I bought a PCM proper part number flashed to my vin, changed nothing, I bought a PCM at auto salvage same part number same options and nothing still have no bus.

I ran the check holding in the odometer reset and get 920, 921, 999 all the gauges and lights went through the proper sequence. My code readers I have two one cheap generic and one older one programable for different makes will both only say failed to connect and linking error.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance ,Tony

Old 07-27-2021, 11:24 AM
NxtGoRnd

The Problem child.

Old 07-28-2021, 01:29 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having. Did the truck run even when the cluster showed no buss? If you cycle the key off and then on. Does the odometer show mileage and then flash and then no buss? Have you check the pin connection at the PCM. You could have a open circuit or shorted to another wire. 99% of the time its been the PCM. And the P0743 and P0748 codes are torque converter codes.

Old 07-28-2021, 11:22 AM
NxtGoRnd

Originally Posted by master tech
Sorry to hear about the problems you are having. Did the truck run even when the cluster showed no buss? If you cycle the key off and then on. Does the odometer show mileage and then flash and then no buss? Have you check the pin connection at the PCM. You could have a open circuit or shorted to another wire. 99% of the time its been the PCM. And the P0743 and P0748 codes are torque converter codes.
Hi thanks for the reply, I went and drove the truck and it ran and drove fine with the exception of never changing gears. The guy handling the deal sales cars and golf carts in Peachtree City Georgia I never met the actual owner but said he was a friend and he was doing the sale for him. The guy said the transmission had been rebuilt but there was an electrical problem the trans was spotless so I was pretty sure it had been out of the truck. He had his mechanic along and I think he worked on it but not sure. Neither one could say what was had been done as far as solenoid pack, clutches pump or what have you and said the guy was no longer doing transmissions lol imagine that.

So I went ahead and bought it at what seemed to be a great price new carpet, headliner, tires and wheels recent paint looked taken care of. Got the title and bill of sale and brought it home on my car hauler intent on solving the no shift problem. It was raining heavy when I got home so I left it on the trailer, went out next morning cranked it and backed it of the trailer and cut it off. I got my code reader and pulled the codes. I red something about grounding the pink wire at the PCM and I did that when I got in it would not start mileage would flash four times and show no bus. I took the jumper off tried the unplugging sensors at crank, cam, map, and tps but still had 5 volts everywhere I checked. Truck would never start with no bus.

I ordered a PCM flashed to my vin# online and matching part number in the meantime I found one at a local salvage that matched PN and options truck was wrecked on driver side but was clean under the hood. I have since tried both of those PCMs with no change.

I had a ASD and fuel pump relay cycling off and on continuously with key on. Someone told me bad ground so I cleaned them all that I found and the ticking went away but when the relays are plugged in and have no bus take them out the no bus goes away.

This morning I went out and turned the key on and the relays are cycling off and on constantly again it rained last night not sure that is relevant as it is dry under the hood went back to cleaning grounds but no joy to be had.

Any tips and guidance would be greatly appreciated I am an old guy just muddling through it and thanks in advance.

Thanks Tony

Last edited by NxtGoRnd; 07-28-2021 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Clean the battery terminals REALLY well.

The following users liked this post:
NxtGoRnd (08-02-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 09:13 AM
NxtGoRnd

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Clean the battery terminals REALLY well.
How's this?

Old 07-29-2021, 04:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Good Plan. Did it help?

NxtGoRnd (08-02-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 07:58 PM
NxtGoRnd

Not a bit.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

How is the battery state of charge?

Start unplugging sensors one at a time, and see if the dash comes back.

NxtGoRnd (08-02-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 05:44 AM
NxtGoRnd

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How is the battery state of charge?

Start unplugging sensors one at a time, and see if the dash comes back.
The Battery is fine I did a load test, as well as checked voltages at the sensors I have 5 volts unplugging sensors changes nothing. This info is in my first post, Thanks Tony

Quick Reply: No Bus or Should I take the bus.