Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Common A/C issues: problems and solutions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 12:11 PM
iambobwood
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jswank
dos any one have any ideas on what could be wrong with my ac it is charged the pump kicked on for a short now it wont come on an an i unhooked the pump an hooked it up to the battery an it turned on then do you guys think its my switch?
By pump do you mean compressor? If so I am having the same issue... How did you make out?

Old 06-18-2012, 06:40 AM
jswank

Originally Posted by iambobwood
By pump do you mean compressor? If so I am having the same issue... How did you make out?
Nope I still haven't figured it out

Old 06-18-2012, 09:54 AM
iambobwood

Amazing. Everything appears to be in good working order and the refrigerant levels are good. Hopefully someone knows the magic fix. This morning on the way home from work I removed the swapped the a/c relay for the fuel pump one. Of course upon doing so the engine stalled. When I restarted it the engine ran fine and the compressor kicked on for 30 seconds before stopping. I just wish I knew which Gremlin was causing this. Everyone is baffled.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:36 AM
iambobwood

Ironically today the compressor kicked on and the ac is as cold as ever..... Weird!

Old 06-20-2012, 09:05 PM
jwils71

So I need to replace a few parts on my '01 4.7L 4WD. Is this a dealer only part and does anyone know approximately how much? It's from the condenser to the dryer. I can't seem to find it online anywhere!

I was also told that if the vehicle doesn't have refrigerant in it or hasn't been used in a long while, some "bag" that's inside of the dryer will become brittle and not remove the condensation. Is this true? My AC hasn't worked since 8/2010.

Thanks in advance for the reply!

Attached Thumbnails Common A/C issues: problems and solutions-photo.jpg  
Old 06-20-2012, 10:11 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

if the refrigerant all leaked out you need to replace whatever was causing the leak (duh)

i would also replace the drier and accumulator as well just in case, whenever you replace the compressor these NEED to be replaced as well.

also make sure that the system holds vacuum before recharging

it looks like there are 4 different part #s in the factory parts manual for the assembly that the piece pictured is part of (at least what i think the piece pictured is)
05072312AA 1/2 [Drier To Condenser]
05072313AA Without Rear Air Conditioning [Drier To H-Valve]
05072314AA 5/8
05072776AA With Rear Air Conditioning [Drier to H-Valve]

i THINK you need the part in bold but i am not 100% sure

Old 06-24-2012, 11:20 PM
KSCMAC
Default 2002 Durango Ac compressor knocking

My 2002 Durango (200,000 miles) just suddenly- the ac compressor is knocking quite loud, It still cools but when a/c switch turned off and then the thermostat turned to heat still have the compressor knocking. Anybody have any ideas? Everything was just fine and then knocking. As soon as it stops raining (here in Fl) I am hooking up my guage to ac system to get reading. There was no issues at all and this noise and and ac compressor problem out of the blue. My wife has asthma and here in Florida in the summer time she has to have. I think I may have a problem with the ac clutch, but what would make the compressor kinda stay on when in heat? Any and all help is appreciated!! Having issues posting!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:52 PM
brj99
Default AC Not Working Right

Hey guys...I can't seem to find any info on my Intrepid, but saw this thread. I have a 2004 2.7 ltr Intrepid. My ac blows luke cold at best. I had the freon checked and they said I had a leaky condenser. I replaced it and they refilled my freon. It worked well for a week or so. I didn't feel it was blowing really cold. After the first week of use, it seemed that the ac air was getting warmer and warmer until it was barely cold at all. I then put in a new expansion valve and a second new dryer and vacuumed and recharged. Cold again at first but then tapers off to warm air over a week or two afterward.

Anyone have any ideas of what's going on? The shop says my compressor works okay. No squeeling or noises. The freon pressure was fine after replacing the condenser so no more leak.

Any ideas of what to look for next?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:56 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brj99
Hey guys...I can't seem to find any info on my Intrepid, but saw this thread. I have a 2004 2.7 ltr Intrepid. My ac blows luke cold at best. I had the freon checked and they said I had a leaky condenser. I replaced it and they refilled my freon. It worked well for a week or so. I didn't feel it was blowing really cold. After the first week of use, it seemed that the ac air was getting warmer and warmer until it was barely cold at all. I then put in a new expansion valve and a second new dryer and vacuumed and recharged. Cold again at first but then tapers off to warm air over a week or two afterward.

Anyone have any ideas of what's going on? The shop says my compressor works okay. No squeeling or noises. The freon pressure was fine after replacing the condenser so no more leak.

Any ideas of what to look for next?
Intrepid has common Evap failure. Ask your mechanic to stick an Freon leak detector into the A/C drain, he might find a leak.
Btw, you should post at Intrepid forum

Old 06-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Phik

Ok, so I just skimmed through every post in this thread and haven't found one with a problem like I'm having. My issue is, I have a 2001 Durango and I've replaced my A/C blower resistor so many times that the dealer wont honnor the warranty any more. lol And by risistor, I mean the one under the pass. dash. Nornally it'll last a few months, but the last time, it lasted a full day. I've replaced the harness also. Once it goes, All I have is max. Would anyone have an idea as to what is causing this & a possible solution to fixing it?

Quick Reply: Common A/C issues: problems and solutions