Print Wikipost

Common A/C issues: problems and solutions

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 03:21 AM
rusmannx
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey i got one too (yay)!

my 01 doesn't make cold air and the low side is at about 15psi. so i decided to get a can at autozone and fill it up.... which lead to 15psi.

then i'm driving around and flip the a/c on to see whats what and i get a spraying sound under the hood. it comes in short bursts (maybe 1 second) and only about once or twice a minute. still no cold air.

i get home and lift the hood to find green goop blown out the back of the compressor and all over the intake manifold. so.... low low and high high?

durango's are fun.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:32 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

sounds like you overfilled the a/c system, it also sounds like you have a bigger problem than just freon, i would take it to a shop for a/c since freon is considered hazardous and you can get in lots of trouble for handling it wrong.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:56 AM
oklahomafbody
Rookie

Been working out other problems with the truck.... Brakes, wheel bearings, etc.... Getting back to the AC vaccume line issue. Where all should I be looking for this cracked or broken line? I followed one from the T on the brake booster to the passenger side by/under the cruise assembly, seemed to be ok. fittings on firewall looked ok... but again, this was with a flashlight and a hot engine so I may have missed the red flag. Is there a specific spot they tend to break?

Old 09-21-2010, 09:36 PM
emyers

My passenger side floor board is full of water. Thinking my a/c drain is stopped up but can't find it. Everything I find online says it's on the engine side firewall, but still not seeing. Does anybody have any idea's? Please help

Old 09-22-2010, 09:28 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

it is on the passenger side of the firewall, behind the passenger side exhaust manifold, look down you should be able to see it

Old 09-28-2010, 01:08 AM
ChesterCopperpot

I just got my first durango today. its a 2002 with dual a/c. the problem is the air is not very cold at all. so i went down and bought a can and filled it up, it made a very slight(if any) difference. so, being new to a/c's, i go guy 2 more cans and put it all in which makes the air actually warmer than when i started and the compressor made a strange sound. so i went to my brother's house and use a cheap gauge he had which showed the low side at about 130 psi. so i (illegally i know) stuck a pin in there and drained a lot of it out. i didnt look at the pressure when i left his house but it was in the green again. the air now is a little bit cool. but not much. i read online tonight that 134a doesnt actually need to 'be changed' and i think i started with the correct amount. not sure what my next step should be here. should i go to an a/c shop and have them vaccuum it all out and refill it? or are there some parts i should be checking for malfunction. thanks for any help, i really appreciate it.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:50 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

there are a couple of things to check, one being that the e-fan on the radiator is working, 2 are the blend doors sealing off the heater core completely (if not it will heat the just cooled air) and the last step is to go to a shop and have it checked, vacumed and refilled properly with the correct amount of freon

Old 09-28-2010, 12:06 PM
ChesterCopperpot

The efan comes on right when i start the truck wether the a/c is on or not. but it slowly comes to a near stop after a minute or so. so i think its just the force of the main fan making it spin. if i turn the a/c the efan does not come on even after a few minutes. i switched the fuse with the electric seats fuse and the fan did not come on and the seats still had power, so its not the fuse.
i found the black box under the dash for the blend doors but mine doesnt have the rods to see if its fully closing/opening. i guess its electric. is there a guide on how to check this? i did some searches and came up empty.
last, not sure if it matters, but the aluminum tube connected to the compressor thats usually so cold its frosty, is only a little bit cold to the touch.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:36 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

the efan cools the a/c condensor on the front of the radiator, if this fan isnt spinning your a/c wont cool correctly, check the relay for it in the PDC (black box behind battery in engine bay) and if it still doesnt work try jumping a hot line directly to the plug, if that doesnt get it spinning i would replace the e-fan

Old 09-28-2010, 04:39 PM
ChesterCopperpot

fan does not work even when i connect both wires directly to the battery. thanks for all your help

Quick Reply: Common A/C issues: problems and solutions