Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Common A/C issues: problems and solutions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 07:29 PM
StunnaKnuckles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 ram 2500 a/c cold at idle Hot when driving

I need help good Dodge people! I recently landed here in Texas and on the way, my a/c started blowing warm on the highway. Once I got in, I took it and the truck professionally evacuated and reloaded with freon. It worked for about a day and was back to the old issue. I have since taken the dash apart to check the a/c to heat selector motor and it works as advertised. The recirculate door motor and door are working as advertised. I'm so lost. Many help would be gratefully appreciated!

Old 05-10-2016, 08:20 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Have some UV dye put in, chances are you have a leak. Do NOT use any stop leak.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:44 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought I'd throw in a good A/C story, to offset some of these 'mine is broken' entries.

My A/C quit a month ago. It worked last Oct when I replaced the heads, then I never used it over the winter. Short story, after borrowing a gauge set from a friend and seeing what looked normal, I found a ground wire cluster had broken off the lug bolting it to the heads. Turned out that was the G105 ground cluster dealing with A/C only. Fixed that and all is well.

While I had the gauges I decided to measure things. My pressures are perfect and the cabin output air is 41°. This is on my never touched 15 yr old system (I bought the D new in '01).

The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (05-27-2023)
Old 06-08-2016, 10:16 PM
mopar4u
Professional

02 Dakota quad cab

Only 65 degrees out, 75% humidity, cloudy.

Just making sure the a/c is working properly. To me it doesn't seem to get quite as cold but maybe it's just me.

Truck is at 1800 rpm in video. Temps out of drivers center vent with settings at full fan speed and max a/c (recirc) upper vents only got down to 43 degrees. Turn max ac off to just regular vents and I'm getting 53 degrees.

Short video shows what the Gage's were doing. Shouldn't the pressures be stable rather than fluctuate up and down? Or does the mild outside temp cause this?

Attached Files
Old 06-09-2016, 06:56 AM
that_guy
Champion

That seems perfectly normal to me. The moving is ebecaus the compressor cycled off then back on once it pulled the low side down enough. There's a chart in the FSM (look in the DIY thread in this section) that shows what the pressures and vent temperatures should be for various ambient temperatures. Generally the high side will be around double the ambient temp in Fahrenheit. Assuming the Dakota and Durango still had the same ac system in 02 at least.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:26 PM
JRobinson773
Post AC Blowing hot in front and cold in rear

I have a 2001 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7. My AC is blowing hot air in front and cold in the back. I put some R134a in it a few weeks ago and I might've over filled it and it shooting out from behind the AC Compressor everynow and then until it's gone and then the rear ac doesn't blow cold anymore. I was thinking it was a relay but I'm not sure. I fixed another issue I was having by replacing the Blower Motor Resistor.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:21 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by JRobinson773
I have a 2001 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7. My AC is blowing hot air in front and cold in the back. I put some R134a in it a few weeks ago and I might've over filled it and it shooting out from behind the AC Compressor everynow and then until it's gone and then the rear ac doesn't blow cold anymore. I was thinking it was a relay but I'm not sure. I fixed another issue I was having by replacing the Blower Motor Resistor.
If you are losing refrigerant out of the compressor, the compressor is shot. The rear AC won't blow cold since all the refrigerant has leaked out.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:02 PM
JRobinson773

Ok thanks I will replace it soon.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:05 PM
JRobinson773

Do you know what my other issue could be with the AC only blowing cold in the rear & hot in the front? I keep seeing thing about expansion valves then stuff on the blend doors.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:11 PM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by jkeaton
If you are losing refrigerant out of the compressor, the compressor is shot. The rear AC won't blow cold since all the refrigerant has leaked out.
This is not necessarily true. There is a pressure relief valve that has most likely opened because the system is overcharged. The system needs to be evacuated, have a vacuum pulled on it, and be refilled with the correct amount of refrigerant (assuming the vacuum holds).

Quick Reply: Common A/C issues: problems and solutions