1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2003 Dodge Durango Head Gasket

Old 07-14-2010, 08:16 PM
motionb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dodge Durango Head Gasket

Hey,
Just found out my wife's 03 Durango 5.9 V8 little over 100,000 miles has a blown head gasket, was going to get a gasket kit to do both sides, and head bolts, what else should I do or replace while I'm in there.
Thanks!!

Old 07-14-2010, 09:20 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

Lifters. Make sure the head surface is straight or it will blow another head gasket.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:28 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

It is easier to speak with someone else's money but here is what I recommend while you are "In the neighborhood"

Obviously you need to find out what caused the overheating that led to the blown head gasket in the first place.. Be it bad water pump, or radiator etc...

Of course both head gaskets and bolts. Have a good professional do this type of work and also check real close for head warpage/craking, block damage, clean/decarbon and inspect the top of the block area for piston damage...

Check valves for damage, clean/hot tank both heads, inspect for other damage.

With 100K on the clock, I would recommend r/r the timing chains and associated hardware.

Water pump if it hasn't been changed at all.

Freeze Plugs

good cleaning of lower block area at least as much as you can get access to

Valve Cover Gaskets.

If you can afford it maybe some upgraded cams, I am sure they are out there for 5.9's
check eBay.

Clean and inspect Intake and exhaust manifolds for damage and at the very least get a good cleaning.

02 sensors, not very expensive, and you probably won't get much easier to access to them in the future.

R/R drive belt with Good Year GatorBack Serpentine drive belt.

I know it sounds expensive but you will basically have a new engine and many more (hopefully trouble free) miles.

Once it gets back together full cooling system back flush, radiator cleaning if not a full replacement.

IndyD will probably chime in soon, but I would venture to guess his recommendations are going to be Prestone 50/50 Green coolant and getting all air out of system...I am not sure if the 5.9 has the bleed screw like the 4.7 but if so, it is there to get air out of the pockets in the coolant passages.

Again these are my reommendations, again it is easy to speak for someone elses money but these are good quality fixes and should hopefully give you a total overhaul and keep the D going for quite a while.

At a very minimum ask yourself these questions......How much extra time and money is it going to cost if another internal engine component fails after the block and heads are put back together?

Don't forget in progress photos!!!!!!

MAGIC

Old 07-14-2010, 10:57 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

magic pretty much nailed it. . .

Old 07-14-2010, 11:04 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Thanks, missed you at Carlisle.....We are going Tony Soprano on you next year and kidnapping you for the day...picking you up in ski caps and a windowless panel van.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:08 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGIC84
Thanks, missed you at Carlisle.....We are going Tony Soprano on you next year and kidnapping you for the day...picking you up in ski caps and a windowless panel van.
go for it, i was going to show up as just a spectator (not park in the show or anything) but i ended up stuck at home trying to fix my sisters car (vw bug) which has been overheating for about a week now, i think the damn thing has air in the system and we cant get it burped (not to mention working on that thing is a BITCH)

btw, got pics from carlisle?,

Old 07-14-2010, 11:10 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Motion, remember this is my wish list, again it is easy to speak for someone elses funds, but consider the question I closed with... Also since you are at it, protect your investment with a good brand synthetic oil change, I did my first one last week with Valvoline SYNPower but others will chime in soon for reference brands.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:14 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Sharp, photos soon, lots to upload to photobcket..plus I have two disposable cameras being developed. I will try tomorrow.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:16 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Motion, probably most important...keep receipts and documentation....if you have work done, you have proof of new parts if you want to sell, if something goes wrong you have references for follow up repair.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:29 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 45AutoPete
Lifters. Make sure the head surface is straight or it will blow another head gasket.
+1 on that and you should be ok.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge Durango Head Gasket