1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission freaking out

Old 09-14-2011, 11:36 PM
winkie74
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission freaking out

I have a 1999 durango 4x4 5.2 and in the last three days the trannys been acting wierd. its done this twice, ill be giving it some gas around a corner and it wont shift gears and all of the sudden the whole back end will start hopping for about a second or too and its a violent hop. and the other thing its done which happened three times today is ill be accelerating normal and its like i just put it in neutral and then itll downshift, upshift, downshift, and upshift again randomly and i have no control over it. now time for some background of what ive done in the last week. i was replacing the output tranny line and the new one wouldnt go on cause the o rings kept slipping so i modified it put some clamps on and all was good, and while i was messing with it i damaged the aux cooler and it was leaking so i got a used one and put it on and everything was good. i also noticed that since i have a trans temp guage it was running 40-50 degrees cooler than normal and id been driving for a half hour. no DTCs except for the abs (which is a whole other story and ive narrowed it down to a faulty module) and i checked all the systems together and individually. ive had a couple problems with the tranny not shifting over the course of the last three years and im thinking this might just be the governor solenoid (i think thats the right name) going bad and i hope its nothing major. tranny works great otherwise, 178,000 miles. sorry about being so long-winded but i wanted toput all the info i had on here. thanks in advance. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:55 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Have you check the fluid level? When was the last time the transmission was serviced?

Old 09-15-2011, 08:30 PM
winkie74
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just put in new synthetic fluid a little while ago. not since it came out of the factory. i dont think its anything with the tranny itself cause it does it randomly when it wants to. i put about 3-4 oz of slick 50 high mileage tranny treatment in a few weeks ago but that shouldnt have anything to do with it.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:09 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

It may have, dodge transmissions are real finicky. I would purge the transmission to get out that additive, change the filter again, and adjust the bands. I was always told to never "believe in miracles in a can/bottle". Remember that additives are unregulated.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:15 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

yea the additives might be part of it, you really should purge it out and put all new fluid in, unfortunately that means you wasted all of that new synthetic fluid you just put in.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:58 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by winkie74
i i put about 3-4 oz of slick 50 high mileage tranny treatment in a few weeks ago but that shouldnt have anything to do with it.
Yea, good luck with that!

Just food for thought but I would replace the transmission speed sensor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission freaking out