1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rear ac blowing hot, front sort of cool.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 04:13 PM
fastyz400
Rookie
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The expasion valve & dryer are easy to change. Just make sure you use all the correct O-Rings. The front expasion valve is located passenger side firewall. It's the big aluminum block that the a/c lines run into. The dryer is located under your air intake box (passenger side near front of the car). Before you disconnect any of your lines, make sure you let the pressure out of the lines.

You also have a rear a/c expasion valve if you have a roof mounted a/c unit. I don't know where that one is located, because I never had to change that out yet.

Also, if your just changing out the dryer & expansion valve. You really don't need to add any PAG oil to your a/c system.

When you vacuum the system out, you'll want to make sure you Get at least -28.9Hg on the gauge. So, hook up both high and low side of the gauge. Make sure your valves are opened on your gauge fittings (you have to turn it clockwise, think of it like airing up your bike tire, as you turn it clockwise, the little pin pushes down the pin at your a/c line fitting). Once you hit -28.9Hg, close off the valves at the gauge.

Hook up your can of 134a turn it upside down, purge the line to get all the air out by taking a screw driver and pushing the little pin in between the 2 big gauges. When freon squits out, you have purged the line.

Oh, almost forgot. Make sure the high side valve is closed at the gauge after the vacuum is complete.
Now open up the low side valve (blue) the vacuum in your a/c line will suck in most of the Freon.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:16 PM
fastyz400
Rookie

If you are still unsure, you can go on youtube, and search for charging a/c. It's pretty easy.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:29 PM
fastyz400
Rookie

Once you have Full vacuum, wait 10 min. Before you charge the system. If your a/c system loses vacuum, it means you have a leak.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:38 PM
fastyz400
Rookie

Oh almost forgot, this would be a good time to change out your valves on both high & low side. I used bike tire air valve removal tool for the high side, and a small needle nose plier on the low side. The high side which is the smaller of the two, you can get anywhere. The larger valve, save some time and just get it at the dealer. These are cheap. Only a couple of bucks each.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Gasnmyveins
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I finally got my readings. 81 degrees ambient, 75 degrees in the vent at idle. That was the highest fan setting, but not set to recirculate. (I found out with the thermometer that the ac will recirculate). Static test showed 30 lbs on both sides. With the engine at idle, after running for 10 minutes, I had the low side at 8 lbs and the high side at 47 lbs. Neither was a negative number. At 2000 rpm, I had the low side at negative 4 lbs and the high side at positive 56 lbs.
So, my question is, what the heck does that actually mean? Also, I'm still wondering about the rear ac. It does have the puddle by the rear tire.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:14 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i would send a pm to 45autopete, he is our local A/C tech, you should also have a puddle near the front tire on the passenger side from the front evap core,

tho it sounds to me like its not building up the correct pressure, either low freon or a bad compressor (dont hold me to it, just my thoughts)

Old 08-22-2010, 05:16 AM
fastyz400
Rookie

If your pressure are that low, your a/c compressor shouldn't even be kicking on. To me, you have a leak somewhere.

Low side should be around 30-40 psi
High side should be around 160-200psi

If your pressure are that low, your a/c compressor shouldn't even be kicking on. To me, you have a leak somewhere.

Low side should be around 30-40 psi
High side should be around 160-200psi (for ambiet temps being 81 deg)

Get a can of 134a with leak detector dye and put it in your system. Let your a/c system run and start checking for leaks with a black light.

Do you have a roof mounted a/c for the rear?

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 08-22-2010 at 07:48 AM. Reason: double posts
Old 08-22-2010, 12:36 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

I already explained on what to do. It sounds like you are low on freon. Recover,vacuum, and recharge! There is no possible way that your system would even kick the compressor in at those readings that you gave us unless you hot wired in your compressor. Start out with the easiest fix first! Recover, vacuum(make sure it holds a vacuum after 10 minutes),recharge. If you still have a problem after what I said, get back to us and tell us what readings you have on your low side and high side. Take the readings at idle and at 2000rpm's.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Gasnmyveins
Rookie

I don't know why it kicks on, but it does. I haven't altered the wiring or anything. I was reading the black line labeled R134A. Maybe I'm not using the gauges properly. To tell the truth, last night would have made a great Youtube video. Several, in fact.

Last edited by Gasnmyveins; 08-22-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Gasnmyveins
Rookie

Originally Posted by 45AutoPete
The rear air has a blend air door that has an actuator motor on it. Usually in 80% of the time the rear air not blowing out cold is that the joint that the motor goes into for the blend air door will crack and this will cause it not to work at all. It usually will stay on the heat side and not move the door for the cold side to work. Dual A/C units take 2.44lbs of freon and that is the best way to tell if you have enough in your system. Recover, vacuum, and recharge with the correct amount of freon.
You got it. As far as the rear ac goes, it's the blend door. I was at the dealership getting intake manifold bolts and went over to talk with one of the mechanics. I already had the panels off, so it was easy for him to look and tell me what I need. Too bad they want about $160 for the 2 pieces. I'm hoping I can cobble it together to block the heat side until I can go to the boneyard for the parts I need. (Please, Brer Bear and Brer Fox, please don't put me in the boneyard. Anything but that............)
I still need to recover, vacuum and recharge. Things have been a bit hectic lately. Hopefully I can do it tonight.

Last edited by Gasnmyveins; 08-25-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear ac blowing hot, front sort of cool.