1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rear ac blowing hot, front sort of cool.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:58 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasnmyveins
You got it.
Nailed that one Pete.........LMAO

Old 08-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Gasnmyveins
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed my gauges don't read "0" when they are detached and I have released the pressure from the lines by loosening the fittings at the manifold. Can't be good. I took a couple pics, but can't upload them right now. Maybe tomorrow after we get our daughter out of the hospital. Poor kid needs surgery to repair the elbow she broke falling off the couch. She's getting a rod in her arm for a few weeks to go with her cast. The cool part is that she wants a camouflage cast. That's Daddy's girl!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Gasnmyveins
Rookie

Also, I took the broken door and laid it down across the heater core to block it, until I can go get a working one. I also left the motors disconnected just so nothing could get bumped in there accidentally. So now I have ac in the back, again. Sort of, depending on how you define ac. It's not really cold yet, but it DOES blow cool air again. Thanks, Pete.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:40 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by Gasnmyveins
Poor kid needs surgery to repair the elbow she broke falling off the couch. She's getting a rod in her arm for a few weeks to go with her cast. The cool part is that she wants a camouflage cast. That's Daddy's girl!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dude I feel her pain!

Been pinned once and it f&$&(#(#kin hurts! Had the shoulder rebuilt twice!

Old 08-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Gasnmyveins
Rookie

Well, she's out of surgery and in the anesthesia recovery room. So we go over to be with her as she comes out of it and I get turned away at the door. They're "TOO BUSY" in there to let us both in. I saw in there, and the place looked freaking' empty. That's messed up. At least when she comes to the regular recovery room I should be able to see her.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:43 PM
45AutoPete
Veteran

Glad that I was able to assist you in your problem. Sorry to hear about your daughter and I know what you mean about the Hospitals. They charge you enough and the least they can do is let you see your daughter.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Gasnmyveins
Rookie

Thanks, Pete. She's sleeping now and doing well, and the doctor says he expects a 100 percent recovery. We've truly been blessed.
Things have been pretty hectic the last few days. In addition to Rachel's elbow and the ac in my Durango, the ac in the Odyssey also quit. The compressor has a bunch of greasy gunk coming out the front. I think that means replacing pretty much everything, which I'm not going to do with that van. So now we have 2 vehicles with limited or no ac. With 4 kids 7 and under. In August. In S Fla. Wonderful. Guess who's looking for another van.
I did manage do do a quick and dirty check of the low side pressure. It seems my gauges aren't working properly (not reading zero even when disconnected), so I got out a can of refrigerant with a gauge on it, ran the engine at 1800 rpm with all the windows open, fan on high, not recirculating, and took reading. 88 degrees outside, 76 degrees in the center vent, and 37 pounds of pressure according to the gauge they supply with the r134a cans. Which at least has the decency to read zero pounds when not connected. Maybe tomorrow I can get real gauges hooked up to see what the high side has going on. Driving 65 on max ac, it will go down to maybe 55 degrees according to the thermometer I leave in the vent. It gets to the mid 90s during the day when I get that reading.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:15 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Sounds like you need a bit more refrigerant but you should probably have it looked at by a shop.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:06 AM
fpsweet

yah with a dodge a/c unit you should be at low 40 to high 30s going down the road. as for your rear a/c unit youll have to disconnect your rear heater core and evaperator core from the lines with makes it a good time to change out the heater core and o-rings and stuff. you cant just buy the blend door if its broke youll have to buy the whole assm. minus the blower moter section. i got mine for 80 from our dealership here in az

Old 09-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Gasnmyveins
Rookie

Sorry it's taken me so long to post again. Things have been fairly hectic around here.
It turns out google is NOT my friend. I found little to nothing of use there, but my latest trip to youtube taught me to calibrate my gauges. With that done, here are my numbers. For the static test, I had 40 on the high side, and about 37 on the low side. I say "about" because that was right at the top of the scale. With it running at 1900 rpm, fans (front and rear) on high (not recirculating, not MAX AC), I had 14 on the low side and 61 on the high side. With the windows open I had a reading of 71 degrees in the center vent with an ambient temp of 81 degrees.
Do these readings make any more sense?
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Rear ac blowing hot, front sort of cool.