1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

wd-40 to prevent rust?

Old 09-26-2010, 08:11 PM
LuxuryDodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wd-40 to prevent rust?

Well supposely this winter were suppose to get some snow, so that brings up the possibilty of rust. But anyhow Iv heard of people spraying an lubicant like wd40 on the underbody so road salt and what not doesnt stick as easy to metal and rust it, is this true?

I most likely wouldnt go longer then an few weeks of not washing down the underbody but im still curious if this would not let the salt eat in the metal? Or is there anyother step i could take that will prevent rust better that would be easy/quick to do (exmp. not underbody coating)? I also assume after the snow has hit you would want to spray off the wd-40 right?

Basically, if theres snow, there's me doing donuts in an empty parking lot haha so I know snow will very easily sling up under there. So any thing will help, thanks.

BASICALLY, what is an easy spray on material to prevent underbody rust for an short period of time?

Last edited by LuxuryDodge; 09-26-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:34 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

WD-40 is used in Colorado mostly for spraying snow shovels to keep the snow from sticking. The main "secret" is kerosene and mineral oil. It does a good job of displacing moisture. BTW, mineral oil is basically "Baby Oil" but putting that stuff on your vehicle might look a little kinky......

Dusty

Last edited by dustyloins; 09-26-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:43 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

honestly spraying wd-40 on the frame would be a waste(imo), i dont spray anything on mine (i just spray it off at the end of the winter, and whenever i get to wash it during the winter) i have little surface rust underneath my truck after 8 years, and iv spent enough time doing donuts, the snow/ice will melt off the frame, and take with it most of the salt, so its not a huge concern as long as you rinse it off whenever you wash the truck.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:07 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

The Germans used to go crazy with salt on the roads. I washed my Ford Fiesta everyday, even in the winter and sprayed the underside as well. Never had any body rust, but a few spots in the engine compartment had some flakes....It got so bad the German car inspectors would go around your car with a magnet. If it fell off, that meant body filler, which was a no-no.

Dusty

Old 09-26-2010, 09:40 PM
LuxuryDodge
Professional

Thanks, I think I might just spray it on the exhuast, driveshaft, and whatever else I cant remember that is non painted metal.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:54 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

drive shaft has a coating on it which looks like it is rusted but is actually a protective coating to protect the internals of the driveshaft from rusting away, i wish i could still find my source for this, if i do ill update it.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Trapstud
Professional

It is funny you mention the wd-40. About a month ago my dad brought his truck to a body shop for an estimate to fix some rust and the person there also suggested using it. Although he just said to spray into any weep holes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wd-40 to prevent rust?