1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

How do I remove the lower control arm and torsion bar? help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 11:44 PM
diddleybopper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I remove the lower control arm and torsion bar? help!

I'm trying to replace the upper and lower control arms drivers side on my 1999 dodge durango 4x4 and i've got to the point where I have the hub with caliper assembly completely removed from the car, and removed the upper control arm and shock already. now comes the part I need help with. I've never had a vehicle with a torsion bar instead of springs so when it comes to removing the lower control arm I am not sure how to relieve the pressure off everything so I don't have a surprise.

I backed out the long bolt at the rear side of the torsion bar to the point where it almost comes out, and not sure if the bar still has pressure on the control arm or not. it seemed to have rotated as I backed the long bolt out.

and when looking at removing the front control arm bolt to frame mount it looks like the sway bar is in the way and you have to remove the sway bar in order to remove the bolt. is this the case? and what steps should I take from this point to get the lower control arm out?

Old 10-04-2010, 06:41 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The sway bar should be taken off before you take the T-bar off.

If you have all the weight off the suspension (meaning you are lifting it by the frame!) and it is just dangling there the bot should come right out lowering the T-bar and you pull it out of the Lower Control Arm.

If you have a jack under the front end then the truck will collapse! You must lift it by the frame! Download a manual: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c...b5ba589d1986ba

Quick Reply: How do I remove the lower control arm and torsion bar? help!