1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help locating power and ground wires under the hood

Old 10-10-2010, 07:39 PM
99dodgedurangoSLT5.2rwd
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help locating power and ground wires under the hood

Ok i have been working on my system on my D for what seems like forever now. The factory alternator is a 137 an im going to rock it till it blows. So i have upgraded my subs once again and now am forced to move up to 0/1 wire do to the RMS i am running.

i need help with identifying the wires under the hood i need to upgrade. I want to upgrade the big 3 from 4GA to 0/1(the power wire between the battery and alternator, the ground from the battery to the chassis and the ground strap from the engine/tranny to the chassis) and any other wires that are needed. Is there anyway someone can show me pics of where these wires are and any other wires i need to upgrade.

added info i am now running 2 13.5w6v2 in a ported box. Scored it off of CL for 150 with the box. One was new one was blown sent the blown one off to JL for 155$. So i lucked out so much i had to jump on it.

Pics bellow(note i plan to fiber Glass the box or at the very least change the carpet to something sexier)

Attached Thumbnails Help locating power and ground wires under the hood-img_2269.jpg   Help locating power and ground wires under the hood-img_2270.jpg  
Old 10-10-2010, 08:27 PM
SumAmerican
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you plan on doing the big three just lay new wires.. no need to replace the old ones.. just double down with new ones. Electricity will take the path a least resistance anyway..
1) Bat to ground, easiest, just run a wire from the battery to the frame.. make a hole if needed in frame.. be sure you sand down to bare metal and all for get conductivity..
2) Engine to frame, Run a wire from the body of the alternator(not the + post) to the frame.. pretty simple as well.. I think you wanna use a different post then the Bat to frame but i'm not to sure if that really matters..
3) + from ALT, Run a wire from the positive post on the alternator to the fuse box and then to the battery.. follow the original wiring cept don't worry about going through the starter.. just go from the Alt the to fuse box then to the battery..
good luck
and on a side note I haven't done this with my D.. only on my neon.. and it worked out just fine..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help locating power and ground wires under the hood