1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Changing Spark plugs and PCV - 2000 4.7

Old 11-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Aug
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Changing Spark plugs and PCV - 2000 4.7

Hi - bought a used 2000 Durango 4.7 V8 4x4 a couple of months ago. Love the truck so far. I want to do some preventive maintenance on the vehicle. Already changed air filter and oil (oil was a little interesting). I also want to do:

1. Spark plugs. I noticed that this model/engine does not have spark plug wires, but it has what the dealership calls "spark packs" that sit on top of each plug. I grew up with an older '90 Mustang V8 with the older school distributor, wires, cap, etc... I'm not used to this idea of electronic spark pack. How hard is it to remove each spark pack to get access to the plug? Any special tips or things to look out for or is it straight forward? By the way, the dealership does recommend copper based plugs.

2. PCV valve. It's located right off the oil filler cap. Yesterday I noticed it will be a little interesting to get to. There's the 2 metal A/C lines right over the PVC valve attached to the oil filler neck. Any special tricks or hints?

Next month it will be the O2 sensors. Thanks-

Old 11-14-2010, 02:50 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on standard copper plugs.

FWIW, the larger 5.2L and 5.9L engines on the Durango's have the plug/wire/rotor/cap you are used to. The Hemi and the little 4.7l have the spark packs.

IndyD

Old 11-15-2010, 12:34 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You don't need to buy the spark packs (coil overs). On your 4.7L get Champion Copper spark plugs (gap .040) and a new PCV valve.

If you do the 02 sensors, then use dealership parts ONLY........If it ain't broke, don't fix it....lol

Old 11-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Aug
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I guess my overall question is how hard is it to replace the components overall? For the coil packs, it is just a simple matter of unbolting them, removing, replace the spark plugs and re-install the coil pack?

Old 11-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Durangovaldeez
Rookie

I believe it is a 10mm nut that you will unscrew before you can lift up on the coil overs. I think on the passenger side I had to remove a support for the injectors or something - it will be obvious when you get into it. Remove the nut, unplug the harness from the coil and gently twist right to left while pulling up gently. This should not take mush effort.
I believe a 5/8 spark plug wrench with an extension will unscrew the plugs.
Use a piece of gas line "6 or 7 inches" to reach in and grab the plug to pull it out.
If you feel more resistance that you think is normal removing a plug - don't force it. SOak it overnight with some P.B. blaster and try again the next day.
If it is still feeling like it takes to much torque try an impact gun - the jarring will break it loose without "jaking" the threads long before strong arming a ratchet.
revers the steps to put em back in and Bob's youre uncle!

Old 11-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Durangovaldeez
Rookie

One more thing - + 1 on the copper plugs.
The kid at the parts store will probably tell you to buy the "better" plugs.
Totally not reccomended by anyone on this forum who I trust for advice.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes......lol

Very easy! Get the cheapo Champion Copper plugs and don't listen to the parts guy.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:06 PM
duramgo03
Professional

It's all pretty straight forward on doing the plugs. #8 cylinder was a little tough (passenger side back). I just did plugs, oil and filter change, trans fluid and filters change, etc, but I totally forgot about the pcv valve. OOPS!!

Old 01-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Aug
Rookie

The PCV valve is right off the oil filler tube. How tough is it to change? Any tips?

Old 01-08-2011, 07:10 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On a 2000 5.9L it is a 60 second job. Pull out, replace, done. Not sure on a 4.7l.

IndyD

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing Spark plugs and PCV - 2000 4.7