1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Install of newer radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 03:11 PM
dslben
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install of newer radio

I have a 1999 Durango that I tried to install a newer (I think 2nd Generation) Infinity radio/cd
, the radio would indicate it was powered up, and indicate radio stations & etc, but after
a few seconds, ( about 15- 20) the radio would power off. When tested on the cd feature,
all worked as it should, sound, all cd features, and eject ect. Can anyone tell me is the Infinity radio from the 2nd generation Durango compatible with the 1st generation 1999? Does it appear the radio is toast? I should say the 2nd gen radio c/d is out of a You Pull It salvage yard.
Thanks for any and all responses.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:23 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

by second generation i assume you mean 04 and newer trucks, and i believe they use a different wiring system for the radio to communicate with the truck so they wont work, i could be mistaken, but i do know that they changed the wires at the same time as the interior so that the 98-00 and 01-03 first gens use different radios that are NOT interchangeable

Old 11-17-2010, 12:13 AM
rhillman75
Rookie

I may be wrong... I would have to research it a little more, but I do believe that 03 and 04 are COMPLETELY different on the wiring side. I am pretty sure that the CANBUS system came into play about mid-year 04 and followed differently each year after that. I may be a little of on this since everything I stock in aftermarket modules pertains to 08-current, but I know on the PAC piece it is showing to 2 different modules for years 04-08. Like I said I may be wrong... but i would check further into this.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:35 AM
Evil Juggalo
Amateur

yeah, find a pin out diagram of the current wiring harness and compare it to the plug on the stereo your putting in and make sure they are the same.. Hopefully you havent killed the radio already..

I keep a spare 250w computer power supply handy to test just such things as they are 12v and have several connections so you can make custom connectors for each application you need it for.

Quick Reply: Install of newer radio