1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 Durango heater Control Issues

Old 12-17-2010, 02:43 PM
scrapin_low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Durango heater Control Issues

Ok I am sick of my wife's durango I will never buy another dodge ever!!!

Ok now that is out of my system. The heater works fine as far as turn it on all the fan speeds work the blend door moves to all postions. AC works fine yada yada. When driving sometimes not all of the time the HAVC controls loose all power. The lights go off around the controls and the blower motor stops. I replaced the entire HAVC control assyembly. This did not fix the issue.

Anyone got any ideas. Ever since I bought this thing for her I have had nothing but issues. I would like to stop having to work on it every weekend.

Thanks in advance guys.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:56 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by scrapin_low
Ok I am sick of my wife's durango I will never buy another dodge ever!!!

Ok now that is out of my system. The heater works fine as far as turn it on all the fan speeds work the blend door moves to all postions. AC works fine yada yada. When driving sometimes not all of the time the HAVC controls loose all power. The lights go off around the controls and the blower motor stops. I replaced the entire HAVC control assyembly. This did not fix the issue.

Anyone got any ideas. Ever since I bought this thing for her I have had nothing but issues. I would like to stop having to work on it every weekend.

Thanks in advance guys.

sounds to me like either a loose connection somewhere in the dash, or a bad ground for that unit,

and also, just an FYI opening your post like that on a dodge ENTHUSIAST forum is NOT going to get you much help at all(i cant bring myself to just telly ou that, so im helping out too)

Old 12-17-2010, 03:08 PM
scrapin_low
Default wow

Easy there fella, its just a forum on the internet and my mom always told me to tell the truth. I love the looks of the Durango hands down the 1st gens are one of the best looking SUV's out there, performance wise its able to hold its own. But from an engineering stand point I am not one bit impressed with it. Compared to working on my Gm cars and trucks this thing is a freaking nightmare. It deffintaly is not for the faint at heart most of the time.

Anyways, I seem to be getting power just fine, here is something I left out before. The day that this started happening my wife was riding in the passanger seat and she was feeling around the heater box under the passanger side of the dash. She tugged on a wire she felt and that when the problem started it seems. I got under the dash and found the wire she was playing with and it is hooked up securely. I have tried tugging, moving twisting and pulling the wire and can not get it to cause the controls and fan to cut in and out.

Call Scooby and the gang we have a mystery. Zoinks!

Old 12-17-2010, 03:19 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Again, it sounds like a simple short. Also there is a relay for the A/C that could be bad in the PDC. Swap that relay with one of the same numbers like the horn. If the problem goes away replace the relay.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:39 PM
scrapin_low

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Again, it sounds like a simple short. Also there is a relay for the A/C that could be bad in the PDC. Swap that relay with one of the same numbers like the horn. If the problem goes away replace the relay.

LOL is there such a thing as a simple short?

Good Idea on the PDC I will try that tonight. I will keep you guys posted thanks for the help.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:33 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

hmm weird that you think gms are easy to work on, maybe its just what you are used to working on, i hate working on gms (we had for along time an buick t-type, and a olds bravada both of those were a PITA to work on and both were from the early 90s, my dads first dak (96) was easier to work on and these trucks are a breeze by comparison.

and i was just giving you some advice on getting help here, im not one of those that are going to shun you for it, but there are many who will, just trying to help you get as much help as possible.

and no i have never seen an easy short, simple is NOT always easy, you need to follow the wires and find the short or loose connection yes its a pain, yes it will take time, yes it will most likely fix the issue, since you said your wife pulled on a wire follow that one and see if there are ANY loose connections, bad grounds or shorted wires along that wire.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:31 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
hmm weird that you think gms are easy to work on, maybe its just what you are used to working on, i hate working on gms (we had for along time an buick t-type, and a olds bravada both of those were a PITA to work on
Amen brother!

My old favorite vehicles were the GMC untill one day I tried to replace the spark plugs on a Blazer. Well it took me 2 fu*kin days and an entire 1/2 gallon of whiskey to get it done. My wife will never let me down the 2nd day she came home (11:30 PM) and I had the entire drivers side of that POS Blazer ripped apart and leaning in between the frame and body after disconnectiong the steering column and the whole enchilada just to replace the fu*kin SPARK PLUGS! Also there was a few other things as well.

I had at the time a 2002 GMC Duramax Diesel and the Blazer. I sold the blazer and bought a Ford Taurus (which was the 3rd one and a great car) and traded the Duramax for a 1998 Durango with a 5.9L. The dealer ate like $3000 bucks after the personal screwed up the paper work (freckin moron)!

Anyway I never looked back, I am a MOPAR man for LIFE!

Last edited by hydrashocker; 12-18-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:04 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I agree, I just recently traded my '04 GMC with the Duramax for my '00 Ram 3500 with a Cummins. EVEN THE DODGE DIESEL IS A PIECE OF CAKE COMPARED TO THAT PITA DURAMAX, IMO!

Amen to being a Mopar Man 4 Life.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:18 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
I agree, I just recently traded my '04 GMC with the DuraCRAP for my '00 Ram 3500 with a Cummins. EVEN THE DODGE DIESEL IS A PIECE OF CAKE COMPARED TO THAT PITA DURAMAX, IMO!

Amen to being a Mopar Man 4 Life.
ok i fixed it for ya

Old 12-19-2010, 12:26 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
ok i fixed it for ya
That really is sooo true! I have put a lot of man hours under the hood of my 2000 D with the 5.9 fixing stuff, but not NEARLY the amount of time I put into that stupid POS Sierra. If I sold it for what it was worth plus what I put into it worth of repairs, I'D BE A RICH MAN!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 Durango heater Control Issues