Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge SUVs > Dodge Durango > 1st Gen Durango
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Oil Pressure gauge drops and rises.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:23 PM

Vehicle: 02-Dodge Durango/99 Porsche 911 C2 Convertible
Default Oil Pressure gauge drops and rises.

So when i start my truck the oil pressure gauge is normal. When i start to drive it's fine till i am at a complete stop,it drops down all the way. When i hit the gas to go it goes back up not to the middle where it normally is but enough to keep the "Check Gauges" light off. Then when i stop again it goes all the way down and the light goes on. Seems like when the truck is elevated with the hood higher it doesnt go on. I'm thinking it's the oil pressure switch?? What do you guys think? I got the oil changed the day after this happened and the guy did not see anything leaking at all. Any idea's would really help me out. The truck still drives like it always did.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 01-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Record Breaker

Vehicle: 2000 Durango SLT 2WD
CHRONIKBUDZ
Send a message via AIM to WhiteWidow00 Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteWidow00

Sounds like a sending unit. I wouldn't drive it until you fix this because it can seem normal but you aren't getting adequate lubrication to your engine. I'd also recommend changing the oil and replacing the filter to cancel that symptom out.

Chrysler Certified
Level 4 Certified in Diesel, A/T, Brakes, Steering/Suspension, HVAC, & Engine Perf
Level 3 Certified in Electrical, Manual Driveline, & Hybrids
Old 01-20-2011, 07:12 PM

I changed the Oil and the Filter. The oil sending unit is only $44 so that not a big deal to buy. Anyone change one of these things? Is it a pain in the ***? Do you think the pressure switch could be messed up?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Record Breaker

Vehicle: 2000 Durango SLT 2WD
CHRONIKBUDZ
Send a message via AIM to WhiteWidow00 Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteWidow00

It is real easy. Its right next to the oil filter and you can see it clearly just by sliding under it. Not sure which engine you have, but I know on the 5.2/5.9 if you take off the front passenger side wheel it makes it a million times easier.

Chrysler Certified
Level 4 Certified in Diesel, A/T, Brakes, Steering/Suspension, HVAC, & Engine Perf
Level 3 Certified in Electrical, Manual Driveline, & Hybrids
Old 01-20-2011, 08:02 PM

I have the same issue. It could be the oil pressure switch, but there are alot of other factors to. For me I think its a PCV valve and a vacume leak, still working on it. Anyways its easy to install a new switch. Its right on the top of the engine with a little electrical socket attached to it. Just remove the socket and take a wrench or some vice grips to it. I didnt have a wrench that big so I used vice grips and got it in there nice and tight. Its really easy, probably take you less than 5 minutes. If that doesnt work get a mechanical oil gauge and see if the problem is electrical or not. If its not electrical then I would worry a little bit.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00 View Post
It is real easy. Its right next to the oil filter and you can see it clearly just by sliding under it. Not sure which engine you have, but I know on the 5.2/5.9 if you take off the front passenger side wheel it makes it a million times easier.
I have a 5.2 and its on the top left side of the engine, no where near the oil filter.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:53 PM

I am haveing the same problem with my 02 ram with a 4.7 do you know where the oil pressure switch is on the 4.7. other than the pressure switch and the oil pump what else could it be . thank you for any help.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

Vehicle: 99' Ram 2500 V-10 Sport QC 4X4

On the 5.9L and 5.2L it is located just like 2 inch's to the passenger side of the distributor.

Replace the PCV valve as that can drop oil pressure.

EDIT!...........Incorrect position and I didn't want to steer anyone else wrong.

Moto: I don't take sides --- #1 - V10 Club - Club Member

AKA....The Durango Section Godfather

Last edited by hydrashocker; 01-23-2011 at 03:55 PM..
Old 01-22-2011, 04:20 PM

Ok so i went with buying the Oil Pressure Switch. Changed that and everything is fine now. But what a pain in the *** to change. It's located right on top of the oil filter,and there is not a lot of room to get it off. The harness is a little tricky as well, you must slide the red clip to the side and press the plastic clip down and pull it off. I didnt have a long enough deep socket to take it off so that made it extra hard. I was able to get it off with a pair of needle nose pliers.I also took the oil filter off to give me more access to the switch. Took me about a half hour. If i had to do it again it would have only taken about 15 minutes.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:32 AM
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashocker View Post
On the 5.9L and 5.2L it is located just like 2 inch's to the passenger side of the T-stat (upper radiator hose into the engine). The T-stat is in the very front and center of the intake manifold (like a Ford 360 block --->Widow).

Replace the PCV valve as that can drop oil pressure.
Mine is located on the back side of block ,,by dist.right side . i put new one in ,plus the sending unit for my aftermarket pillar gauge for oil pressure, Not a fan of just idot lights or stock gauges when it comes to oil pressure or trans -temp
Old 01-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

Vehicle: 99' Ram 2500 V-10 Sport QC 4X4

You are correct!

The water temp sensor is the one I was talking about! The oil pressure sensor is located next the the distributor just to the passenge side.

So with me being incorrect, JSavinoJr<------I hope you replaced the sensor next to the distributor and NOT the one next to the T-stat????????

If you did then simply pull it and place it in the correct place and return your old coolant sensor.

Moto: I don't take sides --- #1 - V10 Club - Club Member

AKA....The Durango Section Godfather
Old 06-05-2012, 08:21 PM

I just had a new engine put in my 98 Durango and every now and then, the oil gauge bottoms out and then goes back once I accelerate. I took it to the shop that did the install and they say is might be in the dash, since the engine is new. Any thoughts?
Old 06-05-2012, 10:41 PM
THE ULTI-MOD
Dodge Forum Moderator

Vehicle: 2013 Challenger R/T
Send a message via AIM to shrpshtr325

put a mechanical gauge on and see if it mimics the behavior of the dash gauge, my guess is that it will bc that is far from what i would consider normal behavior

also have a read on this http://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-...-pressure.html

make sure to read it all the way through it is a discussion on this issue in the 5.9 (and the 5.2 is basically the same so it should apply either way)

-Phillip's Law: Four-wheel-drive just means getting stuck in more inaccessible places.

bikes?
live in NJ?
REAR WIPER CLUB MEMBER #2

Quote:
altair: I need something that lets me stab people in the face over the internet
Old 06-20-2012, 01:32 AM
Amateur

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L Medium Bronze
Durango1992

Hey Guys,

I am having a similar issue with my 2000 4.7 4X4. When I start the engine in the morning, the oil pressure goes almost to the right hash mark, where I presume it should be. When I am driving it the pressure is normal, but when I pull up to a stoplight and the car idles, the pressure drops to just below halfway. This has been going on for over a year. It doesn't seem to have affected the car. Of note, one time while driving the oil pressure did drop to 0 for a second, the CEL went on. But it immediately went back to normal. Just to clarify, should the gauge fluctuate or should it be at like 80% to the right all the time? Is it normal for pressure to drop when the engine is just idling?
Old 06-20-2012, 09:08 AM
THE ULTI-MOD
Dodge Forum Moderator

the guage in the 4.7 builds in increments for some reason on starting, going up to the right has mark is fine, but the pressure is a little high up there if it stays there at idle.

while driving the gauge WILL move around as the rpms of the engine change, at idle it should sit right at the left hash mark. that left hash mark is about 30 psi, plenty of pressure for the engine at idle.

-Phillip's Law: Four-wheel-drive just means getting stuck in more inaccessible places.

bikes?
live in NJ?

Quote:
Old 07-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Amateur

Vehicle: Durango 318 ( Zombie Killer Aka ZK )

I just got done fixing this issue, it started about a month ago with 107K miles on my 5.2 drops then comes back as it wants, eventually it just stays where it is 0 until it sat for a hour or so then when turned back on it was good for about a mile or so ( bad thing is it started to tap luckily that went away after the fix but is not something you want to ride on 8/10 times its sludge/carbon buildup. The FIX is in the 5.2/5.9 rangos there is an issue with a slude and carbon build up causing the screen to be plugged drop the pan, clean everything VERY WELL then bolt backup and refill as needed. I just used a trick i was told by my uncle mechanic for 48 years and Drag racer for 30 and told me to drain the crankcase and fill with simple green let everything soak for a few hours, drain out, refill 500miles change oil and it will clean everything including the screen very well ( DO NOT START ENGINE WITH CRANK FULL OF SIMPLE GREEN )

Hope this helps it worked for me and runs better then ever

TF Ghost
Old 07-04-2012, 01:33 PM
THE ULTI-MOD
Dodge Forum Moderator

just going to clarify something here, there is NO DESIGN ISSUE with these engines that causes sludge build up (but thanks for the google search hits) SLUDGE is ALWAYS a case of poor maintance, and in the case of the dodge magnum truck engines VERY poor maintance.

personally i wouldnt put simple green in the engine PERIOD, but you can do as you please i would expect the chemicals to attack any seals they come in contact with as well as any build up

bikes?
live in NJ?

Quote:
Old 07-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Champion

Vehicle: 99 Durango SLT FT4X4 5.2L Intense Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpshtr325 View Post
just going to clarify something here, there is NO DESIGN ISSUE with these engines that causes sludge build up (but thanks for the google search hits) SLUDGE is ALWAYS a case of poor maintance, and in the case of the dodge magnum truck engines VERY poor maintance.
+1 there is no sludge problem with these motors. The only way there would be sludge is from improper maintenance and negligence.

-Intense Blue '99 Durango SLT 5.2L FT4X4
-Ivy Green '69 Plymouth Satellite 318
Quote:
Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing its idiot.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:27 PM

Ok, I was having the same problem with my oil pressure dropping as described above, so I changed the sending unit, took my truck for a test drive and everything was seeming fine until I got back home and the oil gauge drops again... but now the pressure gauge will come back up without me giving it gas and bounces around some...what else could be the problem?
Old 05-09-2013, 02:28 PM

My 98 4x4 is having the same issue. Driving back up to OK from TX, the op just bottomed out on me and the cgl came on. Soon after, the lifters started ticking. I changed the oil, did an oil treatment, changed the sending unit, new filter...the lifters have stopped ticking and it's not bottoming out quite as much, but it's still doing it and now wanting to die when you stop. I'm wanting to go ahead and change out the oil pump, but I'm going to hook it up to a mechanical gauge first to see what it reads. I know at one point, the dash op gauge was not reading correctly (actually was reading the total opposite of the mechanical gauge) at one point...but I haven't rechecked it after replacing the sending unit.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:28 PM