1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Oil Pressure gauge drops and rises.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 06:23 PM
JSavinoJr
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Pressure gauge drops and rises.

So when i start my truck the oil pressure gauge is normal. When i start to drive it's fine till i am at a complete stop,it drops down all the way. When i hit the gas to go it goes back up not to the middle where it normally is but enough to keep the "Check Gauges" light off. Then when i stop again it goes all the way down and the light goes on. Seems like when the truck is elevated with the hood higher it doesnt go on. I'm thinking it's the oil pressure switch?? What do you guys think? I got the oil changed the day after this happened and the guy did not see anything leaking at all. Any idea's would really help me out. The truck still drives like it always did.

The following users liked this post:
66dalton (12-27-2021)
Old 01-20-2011, 06:31 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a sending unit. I wouldn't drive it until you fix this because it can seem normal but you aren't getting adequate lubrication to your engine. I'd also recommend changing the oil and replacing the filter to cancel that symptom out.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:12 PM
JSavinoJr

I changed the Oil and the Filter. The oil sending unit is only $44 so that not a big deal to buy. Anyone change one of these things? Is it a pain in the ***? Do you think the pressure switch could be messed up?

Old 01-20-2011, 07:58 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

It is real easy. Its right next to the oil filter and you can see it clearly just by sliding under it. Not sure which engine you have, but I know on the 5.2/5.9 if you take off the front passenger side wheel it makes it a million times easier.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:02 PM
99-durango

I have the same issue. It could be the oil pressure switch, but there are alot of other factors to. For me I think its a PCV valve and a vacume leak, still working on it. Anyways its easy to install a new switch. Its right on the top of the engine with a little electrical socket attached to it. Just remove the socket and take a wrench or some vice grips to it. I didnt have a wrench that big so I used vice grips and got it in there nice and tight. Its really easy, probably take you less than 5 minutes. If that doesnt work get a mechanical oil gauge and see if the problem is electrical or not. If its not electrical then I would worry a little bit.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:03 PM
99-durango

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
It is real easy. Its right next to the oil filter and you can see it clearly just by sliding under it. Not sure which engine you have, but I know on the 5.2/5.9 if you take off the front passenger side wheel it makes it a million times easier.
I have a 5.2 and its on the top left side of the engine, no where near the oil filter.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:53 PM
porta mill

I am haveing the same problem with my 02 ram with a 4.7 do you know where the oil pressure switch is on the 4.7. other than the pressure switch and the oil pump what else could it be . thank you for any help.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:23 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

On the 5.9L and 5.2L it is located just like 2 inch's to the passenger side of the distributor.

Replace the PCV valve as that can drop oil pressure.

EDIT!...........Incorrect position and I didn't want to steer anyone else wrong.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 01-23-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:20 PM
JSavinoJr

Ok so i went with buying the Oil Pressure Switch. Changed that and everything is fine now. But what a pain in the *** to change. It's located right on top of the oil filter,and there is not a lot of room to get it off. The harness is a little tricky as well, you must slide the red clip to the side and press the plastic clip down and pull it off. I didnt have a long enough deep socket to take it off so that made it extra hard. I was able to get it off with a pair of needle nose pliers.I also took the oil filter off to give me more access to the switch. Took me about a half hour. If i had to do it again it would have only taken about 15 minutes.

The following 2 users liked this post by JSavinoJr:
66dalton (12-27-2021), Skemp85 (03-21-2023)
Old 01-23-2011, 12:32 AM
01 6.3L RT
Professional

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
On the 5.9L and 5.2L it is located just like 2 inch's to the passenger side of the T-stat (upper radiator hose into the engine). The T-stat is in the very front and center of the intake manifold (like a Ford 360 block --->Widow).

Replace the PCV valve as that can drop oil pressure.
Mine is located on the back side of block ,,by dist.right side . i put new one in ,plus the sending unit for my aftermarket pillar gauge for oil pressure, Not a fan of just idot lights or stock gauges when it comes to oil pressure or trans -temp

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure gauge drops and rises.