ABS pump won't stop pumping!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Gigahert
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS pump won't stop pumping!

First time poster looking for advice.

1998 Durango 5.2 4x4

Started her up this morning, started to drive off and I noticed an annoying squeal that I had never heard before. 'ABS' and 'Brake' console lights were on so I turned around and parked. Opened the hood, with the engine still running, and traced the noise to the ABS control unit/pump area.

I then turned off the vehicle but the pump continued to pump. I had to disconnect the control unit to get it to stop.

I have a feeling that the ABS control unit is probably in need of replacement. Would this be a logical assumption? Also, I read on another forum that these can cost in excess of $800...is this accurate??? Would it be possible to find a used replacement unit, from a salvage yard or wherever, and change it out myself?

Also, any idea if I could safely drive with the ABS control module unplugged?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by Gigahert; 02-03-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:46 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There could be 2 issues,

1. The module could be shot.
2. A short to the system can cause that.

You will need to look at your front wheel bearings and see if they have a ABS sensor on them. If so, you have a 3 wheel ABS. If not then it's only Rear Wheel ABS. Next you can go to a junk yard and pull the ABS module from a 1998-1999 model year Durango that has the same system as yours. It should be plug and play, if you get the wrong system then it will throw codes.

BTW<-----Welcome to the DF!

Old 02-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Gigahert

I'll take a look at the bearings and then see if I can track down a replacement module.

If I have front sensors...should they be easy to see? Should I be able to spot them without removing a wheel?

Thanks hydra

Update: I went and took a look and they are very easy to spot....3 wheel ABS it is. Also, it seems to drive just fine with the ABS control module unplugged. Thanks again.

Last edited by Gigahert; 02-03-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:09 PM
oklahomafbody
Rookie

Yes, just look for any wires going out toward the center of the inside of the wheel area. Should be able to turn wheels one way or the other and bend down and see it. Dont have to get all the way under.

Quick Reply: ABS pump won't stop pumping!