1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transfer Case Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 08:58 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Transfer Case Swap

I just switched out my nv231 transfer case with an nv242. It only took a couple hours for me and a buddy to do. The new case went right on and works perfectly.

I got the piece of wiring that goes from the transfer case's switch to the trucks wiring so that the range indicator lights on the dash would still work. The thing is neither the part time light (which worked before) or the full time light work. First off apparently if you didn't have the full time case from the factory they didn't put a bulb there, so you need another bulb to get that to work. I shorted the pins on the end of the new connector and that did light up the part time light on the dash. The transfer case won't light up either the part time or full time light though.

I also noticed that the little bit of wiring that goes between the transfer case and main wiring only has 3 wires and pins (one pin isn't wired) while the case has 4 pins. The part time light should still work though I'd think since it comes on when I short two of the pins on it.

At this point I'm guessing that the range switch on the case is bad. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 05-25-2014, 11:01 PM
DJeXeCute
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may have something to do with the wires. On my 01 I just have an electric switch that changes between awd and 4hi pt and 4lo.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:03 PM
that_guy
Champion

I think I'm going to try running a 4th wire from the unwired pin on the connector at the transfer case to the other end of that jumper that goes to the main wiring harness.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:36 AM
DJeXeCute
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah give it a shot and keep us posted.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:41 PM
that_guy
Champion

Ok, so the wiring isn't the issue. The FSM just lists a pin for ground, one for part time sense, and one for full time sense. I pulled the switch out and it seems like something is broken inside of it and is rattling around. I think it might be the spring for the little plunger that rides on the shifter mechanism inside the case because it doesn't spring back out on it's own anymore.

So I guess I need a new switch. Only thing is the cheapest I can find them for is $50 online. Anyone have one cheaper or know of where to get one cheaper?

Old 05-26-2014, 03:53 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wont let me post the link to where i got mine... i try it in a PM.

Just for FYI, the correct switch is listed under "1999 Dodge Ram 1500" in most auto store or online computers.... According to them the Durango/Dakotas only came with a 231.

Last edited by Old_School; 05-26-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:57 PM
that_guy
Champion

Got the link in the PM. That sure is a hell of a lot cheaper than everywhere else. I think I'm going to go ahead and order that. Thanks a ton!

link for future reference: http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...vlEbLXUhvD_BwE

Last edited by that_guy; 05-26-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:17 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by that_guy
Got the link in the PM. That sure is a hell of a lot cheaper than everywhere else. I think I'm going to go ahead and order that. Thanks a ton!

link for future reference: http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...vlEbLXUhvD_BwE

The one for the 1999 ram 1500 is a few bucks cheaper than that.. not sure if theres any difference from the jeep ones or not. I would go with the ram one since we know for sure there the same transfer case

Old 05-26-2014, 04:22 PM
that_guy
Champion

Did that jeep one work for you, because looking that number up shows it only having two pins on the connector instead of 4, so it wouldn't be able to light up both the part time and full time lights. I'm thinking I might need to cancel my order there, unless they have the picture wrong.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:42 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by that_guy
Did that jeep one work for you, because looking that number up shows it only having two pins on the connector instead of 4, so it wouldn't be able to light up both the part time and full time lights. I'm thinking I might need to cancel my order there, unless they have the picture wrong.

Yes it did but, looking back on my invoice looks like they charged me for the wrong switch and sent me the right one... It was a 4 pin switch.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Swap