1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

can't locate turn signal flasher

Old 02-11-2011, 09:24 PM
SteveDB
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't locate turn signal flasher

Howdee all.
Just bought a 2001 Durango last month, and my turn signals are cutting out on me. The light bulbs appear to be fine, but when I do the turn signal, or now the emergency flashers, they stop working after a few seconds, or less.
I've got a pdf copy of the service manual, and in looking at it, it tells me the fuse block on the left side is where the flasher is located. I've looked, and it sure doesn't appear that way to me.
Does anyone know where the flasher relay is located on this thing?

Thanks.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:01 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Easy.

You are right, the relay is failing.

Drivers side kick panel, up high underneath. Pull out the old, plug in a new. 2 minutes tops with good light and as long as you can get up there to it.

Did mine in the parking lot at the parts store.

HTH,

IndyDurnago

Old 02-11-2011, 10:36 PM
SteveDB
Amateur

ok, I think I found it. It's a 3" x 2" x 1" 14 pin module.
I found it the old fashioned way-- feeling around, and when I'd find what appeared to be a relay, I'd hold it, turn the signal arm, and if it clicked, that's it..... It was not whre the manual says it was located. It was mounted above my brake pedal, out in the middle of the area, to a friction-pinned mount.
So.... I then called my local kragen store, and they've got nothing like it in stock.
Anyone know what these things cost?

Old 02-12-2011, 12:37 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

$15 or less

Old 02-12-2011, 05:40 PM
SteveDB
Amateur

Well, I called the dealership, they confirmed I had the right relay. Out of stock, and $82.20-- brand new.
Ouch, ouch, and.... oh, did I say-- OUCH!!!!!!!
ok....
So, I called around, and found one out of a 2003 for $20.00, plus tax, at a junk yard 45 miles north of here.
So, while I spent the same amount of money in fuel, time, tinkering, and part, it's now working, and God willing, I'll be able to forego any more troubles for a while.
Turns out this model flasher relay is a dealer only item, or, junk yard if you're courageous. It's part #
56049114AA, which has now become xxxxxxxxxxxAC. I.e., the last letter has changed from A, to C.
It's for model years 2001 through 2004.
This is not-- I repeat-- NOT an after-market item. You'll not find it at any standard auto parts shop. In talking with the guy at my local NAPA store, he told me-- unofficially of course, you know- plausible deniability here-- that their books stop at 2000 for Dodge. Apparently Dodge is not releasing post 2000 parts manuals. What a racket.

So, if yours goes out, and you've done all the standard checking, reach up under your dash, just to the left of the brake pedal, and right of the parking brake release lever, wrap your hand around to the right, and you should feel a module about the size of a man's fist. It's friction pinned to the chassis, against the under-dash kick plate, and the module is approx. 2" tall x 3" wide x 1" thick. It has 14 pins/prongs. It looks like it could be a double relay in a single casing.
Check your flashers manually if need be-- you'll feel the clicking, as you grasp it.
If you're triple jointed, you should be able to remove it without opening up your lower dash plate (3 torx bit screws underneath [t-9, I think; my mistake-- t-15], and friction pinned above). If however you're like me-- undo the 3 screws, use a flat blade screwdriver to slowly pull the top out.
Oh, on the parking brake release, pull the lever down, and you'll notice the white clip. Slide (rotate ccw) that down vertically, and you will free the action arm. Pull that towards the left side of the vehicle, and that will free that up.

Once you free the plate. Look straight up from the brake pedal, and slightly to left. You'll see the black module. Numerous wires coming out of base. Grasp module firmly, and pull. Rock if necessary-- but not wildly. It will come free.

Once you have the replacement module, I'd say the whole job will take 10-15 minutes-- open to close-- ok, 30 minutes if you're not entirely confident-- but it is relatively quick, in and out.
Hopefully, this thread will save future users the time I had to take trying to just locate, and diagnose my problem......

I will say this-- unless you're replacing the turn signal mechanism, you do not need to open up the steering column, as the manual says.... sigh... DO NOT OPEN Steering column.

Oh, and yes, I am a shade tree mech from the old days. Highly handy, and love to tinker. I am not however a certified mechanic. Well, maybe certifiably whacked, but not ASE.

Thanks for the helps. They got me steered in the right direction.
puns all intended..... er... sarcastic witticisms all intended.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:11 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveDB
Well, maybe certifiably whacked
Then you'll fit in real good here with the rest of us............

Old 02-12-2011, 09:29 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

shhhhhhhh hydra thats supposed to be a secret

Old 02-13-2011, 02:58 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

My ADD kicked in and I stopped reading. WOW that was a lot of text for a simple issue. Did he get it fixed LOL?

I believe there was some chatter of no aftermarket and NAPA having no detail after 2000. Since his D is a 2001, not relevant. Something about taking the steering column apart? WTF? Also, AZ has the flashers on the rack, not even behind the counter. I bought 2 this spring because the first one was bad out of the package.

IndyDurango

Last edited by IndyDurango; 02-13-2011 at 03:01 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:21 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

He fixed the issue.

He went to the Dealer and got the replacement parts. The multi-flasher is located under the dash up by the parking brake levers on the 2001-2003's and in the 1998-2000's it's in the dash fuse panel.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:48 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

Thx HS!

LOL

BTW, mine is inside the side wall, near the fuse box BACK SIDE, not in the fuse box. 2000 D

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can't locate turn signal flasher