1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Need help to release the cable lock on shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 11:27 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need help to release the cable lock on shifter

I am following the direction posted by Hydrashocker on how to adjust your shift cable to have the orange dash indicator correctly line up with the transmission, have the FSM too. I am trying to figure out how to release the cable adjuster lock. I assume I have it correct, it is the black cylindrical plastic housing on the shifter cable just below the brake booster. It looks to have two plastic tabs on the front to allow you to release it but I want to make sure as to what I need to do so I don't break it. Thanks.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:31 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a photo of what I am thinking is the cable adjuster lock.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to adjust the orange needle on my 1998 Durango there's a white adjust assembly to the bottm left of the steering column, I removed the panel under the column to access it.
Now quite sure what year/model truck you have but the FSM should tell you about this adjust under the column I would assume.

Good Luck

Old 02-12-2011, 01:38 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

adjusting the position of the orange shift indicator is controlled by a while adjuster **** under the driver side kick panel just below the steering column, nothing under the hood needs to be touched

Old 02-12-2011, 01:55 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You DO NOT adjust the shift cable to adjust the orange indicator in the instrument cluster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave the shift cable alone!

To adjust the orange indicator there is a small adjuster located inside the cab under the dash directly under the steering column. Basically you remove the knee panel off the dash directly under the steering wheel. Then look level at each main bracket on the under side, on the left side there is a small white colored adjuster with a small wheel on one side and you twist the wheel to adjust the orange indicator. In this TSB it shows this picture: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/08-05-00.htm

Name:  ShiftCableAdjustment.jpg
Views: 3992
Size:  14.0 KB

Last edited by hydrashocker; 08-06-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help to release the cable lock on shifter