1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help with torsion/shackle lift!

Old 03-13-2011, 09:39 PM
blue62spike
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help with torsion/shackle lift!

I ordered the belltech 6400 shackles to put on my 2003 D. Im trying to remove the stock shackles and the bottom bolts on both shackles will NOT come out. It is the t-55 torx headed bolt. I have soaked it in PB blaster, used an impact gun, ratchet, and tried using vise grips. I am able to get the nut off, but even after pounding the bolt with a hammer and sledge hammer, i cannot get the bolt to come out. It seems to be held up inside the sleeve it is in, inside the rubber, inside the leaf spring. the top bolts came out, no problem. Any suggestions? please help

Old 03-13-2011, 10:30 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you need to but a new bushing it rusted inside

Old 03-13-2011, 11:18 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You are going to have to heat it up and burn out the old rubber bushing or cut it off.

The problem is the bolt runs through a metal bushing and that metal bushing goes through the rubber bushing. What I would do is cut the outside nut off, then cut the inside bolt head off, and use a 3 finger puller (or 2 finger) to push the bolt out of the metal bushing. Once you get it replace the rubber bushing and re-use the OEM inner bushing with a stainless steel bolt and lube it with anti-size.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 03-13-2011 at 11:20 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with torsion/shackle lift!