overhead "remote controls"

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 07:02 PM
SteveDB
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overhead "remote controls"

Hi.
Soon after I got my 2001 Durango last month, I was reading the owner's manual, and noticed that it has 3 buttons overhead that can be programmed to perform "remote control" operations.
I thought it'd be nice to program one of them to my garage door opener. I followed the instructions, and it did not work.
I.e., it says to press the two outer buttons simultaneously to wipe the memory, and then to depress one of the buttons, and the garage door opener (GDO) button simultaneously, with the GDO remote less than 3 inches away. Once the light is lit, it should work-- didn't happen.
Everything worked as it describes-- lights lit up, flashed as stated-- but no GDO operation.

My opener is 3 or 4 years old, so it should work with this, right? Or is the Durango's programming too old to recognize newer models?

Has anyone ever figured out how to do this and get it to work?
I wouldn't be surprised if it's something simple, so that's why I'm asking.

Thank you.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:30 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

you have a 'learn button' on your garage door opener, after you program the remote into the durangos built in system, you need to follow the learn procedure for the garage door opener to make it accept the code from the durango, your truck is working fine, you just need to tell your garage door opener that the specific signal coming from the durango is in fact allowed to open the garage door. This is because many new systems have rolling code transmitters which are more secure than the older frequency modulated openers, however the durangos built in system cannot replicate that, it will send one code which you then need to tell the garage door opener to respond to

try that and get back to us i had to do this for both of our garage doors and one of them is well over 10 years old

Old 02-12-2011, 08:16 PM
SteveDB
Amateur

Ok, I had to buy a replacement remote last month so I remember the learn button on the actual GDO unit in my garage.
However, as I remember that, I had to do something similar-- hit both buttons simultaneously-- I'm not that fast in jumping off a 6 foot ladder, and running to my durango and depressing that button too. Plus the reaction to my body jumping off a ladder would cause other problems too....
So, if I programmed the durango's overhead remote before, it's just a matter of now learning my actual GDO unit?

Old 02-12-2011, 09:15 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I use a broom stick to push the button on the garage motor and then hit the opener button to program.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:31 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

usually you have 30 sec or so and the garage door opener lights will blink, so push the button, then walk to the D and push the programmed button, or have your gf push the button in the D while you push the one on theo pener, just tell her to wait for your signal

Old 02-13-2011, 05:41 AM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I use a broom stick to push the button on the garage motor and then hit the opener button to program.
Wouldn't it be simpler to just have a buddy help you out? In my experience the mention of a fresh 12-pack in the fridge makes it pretty easy to get someone to drop by for a few minutes...

I've been through this programming process a few dozen times, both with my own vehicles and helping friends with theirs. It really is a LOT simpler and quicker with two people. And it definitely gets more complicated and confusing as the machines involved get newer. (old vehicle and old garage door opener = easy. new vehicle and new opener = Pain In The ***...)

Last edited by coreybv; 02-13-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:55 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

im tall enough (and our garage ceiling is low enough)(the durango only has a couple inches of clearance height wise getting in the garage) that i can read the learn button on both of our machines from the ground, i can push the button and still have enough time to run back to the truck and push the button i want to open that door

Old 02-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just keep the GDO in the car to open it up. Otherwise, we have another keypad remote located on the jamb of the door.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:44 PM
branquelo

Wouldn't it be simpler to just have a buddy help you out? In my experience the mention of a fresh 12-pack in the fridge makes it pretty easy to get someone to drop by for a few minutes...
OR... you could just remind your spouse that the pre-nup explicitly outlines her duties as "Garage Assistant, As Needed."

I mean, what starts off a romantic Valentine's Day evening better then saying, "Honey, I need your help out in my garage so I can get the [expletive deleted] garage door opener in your Durango working..." No mention of 12-packs necessary.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:20 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by branquelo
OR... you could just remind your spouse that the pre-nup explicitly outlines her duties as "Garage Assistant, As Needed."

I mean, what starts off a romantic Valentine's Day evening better then saying, "Honey, I need your help out in my garage so I can get the [expletive deleted] garage door opener in your Durango working..." No mention of 12-packs necessary.
LMFAO......

You could do one more up and tell her the pre-nup's her Valentines gift!.....

Quick Reply: overhead "remote controls"