1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Places to install a body lift kit

Old 02-27-2011, 09:37 PM
NT 5.9Durango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Places to install a body lift kit

Im in columbus ohio and i have been looking on the internet and cant find any places that install lift kits. I know its fairly easy to do yourself, but being only 16, i dont trust myself. does anyone know of any place in the columbus area that installs lift kits?

Thanks

Old 02-27-2011, 11:33 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Most body shops should have very little trouble doing it.

I wouldn't necessarily let the fact that you're 16 scare you off. I learned cars by just diving right in, over my head most of the time. LOL... When I was 16 me and my buddies were doing complete engine rebuilds, including boring the blocks when we could get our hands on machine shop equipment.

Then again, I had a couple of buddies whose dads were mechanics, so we had access to a lot of equipment and advice. Plus, the late 60s and early 70s muscle cars we were working on didn't have all the computer controlled garbage to worry about that todays cars do. (The flip-side of that is we didn't have the Internet to turn to for answers. When we screwed up we had to just figure it out ourselves.)

Still, a body lift is a pretty simple project to start off on. Just get the tools rounded up, do some reading up on the Internet about how it's done, and go for it! As nice as it is to have a nice vehicle, it's a hundred times more satisfying when you've done the work to make it that way yourself.

Then again, you have to make the final call. If you're really and truly not comfortable with pulling it off, there's no shame in having it done. Just open the yellow pages and call body shops and start asking questions. If they tell you they don't do that, ask them if they can recommend someone that does. I bet you find the same place getting recommended over and over. That's probably going to be the guy you want to use.

Also, is there a specific reason that you prefer the body lift? On the Durango you can do a torsion bar and shackle lift very easily, and most folks on these boards seem to strongly prefer that method.

Last edited by coreybv; 02-27-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:10 AM
zeke@zekescfc.com

It is a very bad idea to put a body lift on(suggest you look at Power Block TV. under Horse Powers most recent build) any 4X4, 2wheel drive maybe. Because you'll cause body roll,plus you'll need longer shocks,a modification to your steering column, (or extention) and also longer cables and brake lines. "Do it right, don't build a death trap". If you want it to set higher,and have more ground clearance,invest in bigger tiers and rims. Keep asking questions of others, and please be careful.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:32 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Can ya post a link to the episode your talkin about?

Old 02-28-2011, 11:46 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I wonder why all the people who have put a body lift on their Durangos haven't called it a death trap. Plus you can't invest in taller tires than 31". That doesn't "lift" the truck much at all LOL.

I'd love to see that episode as well.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:38 PM
bowhuntmaine
Professional

In most cases, if you roll a vehicle, you were doing something stupid anyway. I have the body lift and the torsion lift. It has no roll what so ever, there isn't even creaking under heavy breaking. Anytime you lift a vehicle, you are changing the braking ability of that vehicle. IMO, you get roll when you lift your vehicle and run shocks that are to soft. It's a 4x4 not a Cadillac.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:18 PM
zeke@zekescfc.com

Yes-just google up Power block TV and look for full episodes on Horse Power Block. They are doing a engine swap on a Blazer. Rough Country has lift kits from 4" to 6 inches,with all the instructions and are designed for the Durango. If you are working on a 4 wheel drive D, you will find that you don't have any upper control arms, you have torsion bars instead, in the front and that will cause you problems,the 2wheel drive D's have upper control arms and springs. Take a look at my profile, I have tighten up my torsion bars,and with smaller tires in the front it still sets higher than the back. If you feel the need for a lift, get a kit designed for your truck by professionals. You won't find any shops that will install a body lift kit, because they don't want to be sued.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:03 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by zeke@zekescfc.com
You won't find any shops that will install a body lift kit, because they don't want to be sued.
Must depend on where you live. There are plenty of shops around here that do all kinds of crazy *** custom work. A body lift would be one of the tamer things they do...

Old 02-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

zeke@zekescfc.com It is a very bad idea to put a body lift on(suggest you look at Power Block TV. under Horse Powers most recent build) any 4X4, 2wheel drive maybe. Because you'll cause body roll,plus you'll need longer shocks,a modification to your steering column, (or extention) and also longer cables and brake lines. "Do it right, don't build a death trap". If you want it to set higher,and have more ground clearance,invest in bigger tiers and rims. Keep asking questions of others, and please be careful.
Yes-just google up Power block TV and look for full episodes on Horse Power Block. They are doing a engine swap on a Blazer. Rough Country has lift kits from 4" to 6 inches,with all the instructions and are designed for the Durango. If you are working on a 4 wheel drive D, you will find that you don't have any upper control arms, you have torsion bars instead, in the front and that will cause you problems,the 2wheel drive D's have upper control arms and springs. Take a look at my profile, I have tighten up my torsion bars,and with smaller tires in the front it still sets higher than the back. If you feel the need for a lift, get a kit designed for your truck by professionals. You won't find any shops that will install a body lift kit, because they don't want to be sued.
Okay... Go back to school please...
Dont quote TV, Esp. a whole different chassis
Shocks- Really dude? dont need adjustment
Brakes- dont need new
Cables- dont need new
Control arms- Haha

A 3" bodylift is perfectly fine to install, dont let the nay sayers/shadetree/overnights at a holiday inn express comments throw you off.
Install it yourself with a few days set aside, feel free to ask me any questions and i can talk you through the process.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:29 PM
zeke@zekescfc.com

The only reason for lifting a truck, is ground clearance, so you don't high center. If you high center you had better have a winch. Bigger tires and wheels is the only way to achieve this. You can build your truck as high in the air as you like,but you still have to contend with dragging your front and rear differentials. If you don't believe that that doesn't give much of a lift to your truck, take a look at big foot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Places to install a body lift kit