1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Fan Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 03:36 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

like i said in my previous post, unless you are overheating, or just starting out first thing in the morning you should not be hearing the clutch fan, if you are hearing it constantly you have a bad clutch

Old 03-02-2011, 03:56 PM
coreybv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
Theres almost a 0% chance of overheating as long as your fluids are all good.
This statement is, to put it simply, 100% wrong.

Throw a 6,000 lb boat on the back and pull it 150 miles on a 100 degree day.

I read somewhere that trucks like this, while towing, generate enough heat to keep two normal sized family homes comfortably warm on a cold winter day. That's a lot of heat that needs to be dissipated by that fan. (It's also where a lot of your fuel dollars are going, but no real way around that until cars are redesigned from the ground up....) You want as much air flowing as possible.

I agree with Sharps. If your clutch fan is causing you noise issues, then you need to replace the clutch. Plain and simple. I never even hear the fans on either of my Durangos except for a few minutes after startup in extreme cold weather.

Replace the clutch. It will be cheaper and easier than converting to electric, and you'll have a stronger, more reliable cooling system.

Look at it this way, when your fan clutch failed it locked your fan up and made it run TOO much. When an electric fails it stops spinning and you overheat and call a tow truck. In my mind that qualifies as "case closed" in terms of which is better.

Last edited by coreybv; 03-02-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:48 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hmmmmmm, some debating going on here.......

Old 03-02-2011, 06:56 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Jerry Jerry Jerry!!!

Old 03-02-2011, 07:17 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coreybv
This statement is, to put it simply, 100% wrong.

Throw a 6,000 lb boat on the back and pull it 150 miles on a 100 degree day.

I read somewhere that trucks like this, while towing, generate enough heat to keep two normal sized family homes comfortably warm on a cold winter day. That's a lot of heat that needs to be dissipated by that fan. (It's also where a lot of your fuel dollars are going, but no real way around that until cars are redesigned from the ground up....) You want as much air flowing as possible.

I agree with Sharps. If your clutch fan is causing you noise issues, then you need to replace the clutch. Plain and simple. I never even hear the fans on either of my Durangos except for a few minutes after startup in extreme cold weather.

Replace the clutch. It will be cheaper and easier than converting to electric, and you'll have a stronger, more reliable cooling system.

Look at it this way, when your fan clutch failed it locked your fan up and made it run TOO much. When an electric fails it stops spinning and you overheat and call a tow truck. In my mind that qualifies as "case closed" in terms of which is better.

If you read everything you would already know that I don't do any towing. If I did, I would definitely NOT remove the clutch fan. I just don't like how loud it is and my fan is NOT seized up.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:56 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

if you are hearing the clutch fan running during normal driving (i.e. not overheating) then it is either siezed, or on its way to being siezed i GARANTEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

noone else can hear their clutch fan over the running engine during normal operation, therefor your fan clutch is acting up PERIOD!!!!!!!

Old 03-02-2011, 10:02 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yeah I agree with shrp, to be honest I think my electric fan is louder than my clutch fan LOL. I have a flex-a-lite VSC granted but when it's on full blast, it's still not louder than my engine roar.

You shouldn't hear your fan going while you're driving down the road like shrp said and if you do, and you're positive your clutch fan is just perfectly fine, I'd look into something other wrong other than your fan.

Not taking sides on this one because I don't take sides, but I believe theres some more issues beyond a fan clutch if it's so loud you can't hear your engine.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:04 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

It only re engages after i idle for a minute or so. While idling or at normal cruising speeds it disengages as it should.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:31 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Replace the fan clutch! It sounds bad to me hands down if it's engaging all the time.

I wonder if what he's trin to say is; when the clutch fan is engaged the engine ROARS and it is louder that his exhaust and normal engine noise level. If this is the case then I have to agree. During cold start up most likely the fan will be engaged until which time the clutch disperses it's oil and relaxes the grip on the water pump shaft therefore allowing the clutch fan to relax and run for the most part quite.

I find it quite comical, every time I start my truck cold and take off it sounds like a freakin tornado! The clutch is locked in position and on a V10 it seams 3 times louder than my old 9 fan blade 1998 5.9L built Durango. You wanna see people look, I laugh my *** off and think I'm a bad *** when drivin bey.....Ok on the up side of my ego.......My Durango did the same thing and that is normal.

If "MoparMan" is asking if that can be fixed then no it can't as that is how a clutch fan works.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:52 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

I know thats how they work. Im just saying I hate my car sounding like a tornado on startup and when I stop at a red light. I want to hear my engine, not my fan.

Quick Reply: Fan Clutch