1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Replacing head gaskets on a 5.2 engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I got everything all back together today, started right up but still having the problem with it not revving over 2000rpm and very very low power and backfiring just like before. I'm leaning towards a clogged cat, or possibly timing. My misfire codes went away too so that's no help there to pinpoint the backfiring cylinder. I'm also throwing in timing because I see a good stream of exhaust coming out the tailpipe.

I'm thinking about just doing away with the the cat altogether, I just got a new one installed 4 months ago and it's already rattled to pieces inside (those things can't handle offroading and jumping at all). I just have to buy one of those fake O2 sensor for the downstream so it doesn't throw any codes.

One thing I don't mess with on engines is the timing, that's probably the biggest pain in the rear there is. But if the cat isn't clogged then there's where I'll be next.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:02 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like a possible timing issue. How long has it been since you did a tune up (replace cap & rotor, plugs, and wires)?

Also as far as an O2 simulator, Dan "The Fastman" makes a good working one. He's who made my porter throttle body.

http://www.thefastman.com/02Simms.asp

Old 03-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Most of the ignition system was reaplced while I was doing all the gaksets, got new champion copper plugs gapped to 0.40, new autolite premium spark plug wire/ignition coil wire set, new ignition coil, new cap and rotor. I put the old coil back in but still got the same thing.

I never pulled the distributor or the timing chain cover. But maybe something's going on in there as it's been slowly loosing a little low end power for a few months now, then all of a sudden lost all top end power.

Also the backfire is because it's running way too rich, backfiring in the exhaust. I used about 3 gallons of fuel driving about 4 miles, no joke. If this keeps up I get to tell people "ya i'm getting about 7GPM" haha.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:25 AM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

If it turns out to be a timing issue, well then good, all the more reason to swap in a 5.9 haha. But I'm about ready to push my D off a cliff for real, it sucks up gas like crazy and at $3.79 my paychecks don't cover it anymore, not to mention the alignments it needs every month resulting in needing new tires every year, still can't figure out why it keeps getting unaligned even with just normal street driving, and the body is all dented and needs a new paintjob. I'm about ready to just buy me a neon or something, they have so many body kits for those cars, I just have to find me a D body kit now haha.

But I had it up to my head already with my D and the only reason I still have it is because it's awesome to own, awesome to drive, and awesome to look at. It's exactly like a woman though, you can't live without it but you can't live with it, although right now I think it's on it's period and hates me. If I made more money I'd keep it but right now I think it's going to get demoted from my primary car to backyard ortimant untill these gas prices drop below $3 a gallon, if that ever happens.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:38 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I totally agree, however you got it made. With my shop (co-owner of a 8 bay shop) I have to pick up people's vehicles every day and drive them sometimes 30 miles back to the shop. I got a Ram 3500 with the Cummins but diesel prices are even more than gas!

Its kind of a trade off because they get about the same fuel economy when towing 2 vehicles so I pick what I trust more and rely on the most, and that's the Durango!

Old 03-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Agreed, my D never left me stranded once, had to limp it home twice 25+ miles. I remember the days when diesel was cheaper than gas, but now that, gasoline, and E85 are all priced to get you about the same distance.

I deffinatly wouldn't mind doing a Hemi swap in mine and get about 25mpg on the highway, but I would need to swap transmissions too since I don't have the 4.7 engine. Everything's going up in price these days except your paycheck and I played the game as long as I could with my D but I think it's time for a much less needy car so I can start spending some money on myself too haha.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:50 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I did not know the Hemi got that gas mileage. Be careful because I had an electrician do work for me and he took me out to lunch and had a Ram 1500 with the Hemi and got an average of 14 MPG he said. I've always heard the Hemi sucking gas horribly.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

In the city they do yes. If I got a Hemi it would deffinatly have to have the cylinder deactivation function for cruising speeds. It would be awesome to gut the whole drivetrain out of an 09 Durango hybrid and fit that into the looks of the first gen D. But it would be at least 2 years of just wiring to make everything work.

Bottom line is if you want to own a D you have to pay to play. Expensive cars are expensive to maintain but they treat you very well with ride quality and features.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Update on the engine rebuild: Pulled the water pump/timing cover and that chain was done it was so loose and about ready to fall off or break apart. Probably would have ran better moving every spark plug wire over 1 pole on the distributor haha. Picked up a few random metal shavings in there too. Runs and idles like a dream now, real smooth and quiet, all the tappet and clicking noise is gone after the rebuild too.

Back to where I started before the rebuild with absolutly no top end power especially when the motor gets warmed up and a high pitched vacuum/air sucking sound that changes with rpms. I've really leaning towards a restricted exhaust so during the week I'm going to get that checked out.

I'll keep you guys updated on what I find out.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:21 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yeah I'd get a backpressure test of the CAT. Anything over 4 psi I'd get the CAT replaced and if you don't already possibly do a CAT back exhaust system. Definitely opens up the exhaust quite a bit.

With the issues you've been having with everything and timing being that far off however, I wouldn't doubt the CAT is done for.

Last edited by WhiteWidow00; 03-12-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Replacing head gaskets on a 5.2 engine