1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

1998-99 Steering Rack and Pinon Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1998-99 Steering Rack and Pinon Conversion

So anyone else out there with a 98-99 durango that is sick and tired of all the play in the steering wheel? Sure the steering box is nice to have for trucks but I much rather have the tightness and presision like in a car (and newer durangos)

I'm wondering if it's even possible to find a 2000-2003 durango and pull the rack and pinon assembly and install it in my 98 D. Anyone know if it's even possible or are the frames different in the front on 2000-03 durangos, or anything else that would make this impossible without some welding or special modifications?

Old 03-15-2011, 12:53 PM
coreybv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm.... I have a 98 and a 99, and the steering is nice and tight on both.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

I might have to just adjust my box then. This is my third one on my D and all 3 have been horrible.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:22 PM
coreybv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's strange. I normally associate loose steering with Ford trucks...

I can't say mine exactly handle like a Porsche or anything, but given that they're 4WD trucks, both of mine meet up with any expectations I have for handling. Driving down the highway it responds immediately when I turn the wheel just a little bit in either direction. Definitely no looseness that I've ever noticed...

Old 03-15-2011, 11:44 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The steering gear isn't the best I agree, but if you have gone through 3 units then you are doing something completely wrong!

I would rather have a sound box then full ...RP... steering.....IMHO.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Looks like I'll just have to do with keeping the box. THe first unit was worn out completely after about 180k miles. The second box was installed new and kind of "exploded" inside when someone drifted into a curb and the front tire hit at an angle. (bent the rim and knocked the tire off the rim too, nothing else was damaged) The third box was installed by the same shop as the second one, this time it was a reman, and a few months later it blew the piston seals. So I said enough is enough, went to a junkyard pulled a box out of a dakota for $20 and installed it and so far 10k miles later it's been tighter and better than the previous three.

I just don't like how sloppy the steering gear boxes feel after driving a car with rack and pinon. I was just wondering how easy or hard it would be to fit a rack and pinon assembly from a 2000 D onto my 98, of if it's even possible. If not I'll just dump money into perfecting what I got now like installing a new idler and pitman arm for sure and just getting the front end all tightened up as much as possible. Never messed with adjusting any of the screws on these steering gear boxes, I don't want to bind it or mess it up, but I might adjust that last after everything else is perfect on the front end.

Quick Reply: 1998-99 Steering Rack and Pinon Conversion