1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Replacing head gaskets on a 5.2 engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing head gaskets on a 5.2 engine

Well I'm in the middle of tearing the top end of my motor down to replace head gaskets. Any advice or tricks of the trade I should know while putting it all back together? It started as a project to replace the plenum gasket but why not do the head gaskets too while I'm in there, do it once do it right, especially since it's all stock and has over 200k on it. I'm just wondering since I'm down there, what else is probably going to break after I just get done putting it all back together?

I will say getting everything apart was pretty simple, just takes a free night, and a lot of this
It probably took me not as long to get it all apart because I just pull bolts, unplug wires, take stuff out and throw it all in a big pile, then do some guess and check with the bolts and the wires are all plug and pray to me. But I never had any problems doing it that way so it's all good.

My original problem with the engine is what I believe a huge vacuum leak, it would misfire above 2000 RPM and lose all it's power there too. Couldn't find any obvious problem to that except a huge air sucking/blowing sound.

If anyone is interested in doing this or has questions for me I can probably answer some, I also took pictures of everything if anyone wants to see.

The following users liked this post:
zit (07-12-2019)
Old 03-06-2011, 07:19 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I like to do is mark all the bolts and label the area they were in. The las thin you want is a pile of bolts to guess where they go and waste an hour just figuring out where it goes.

Also for putting it back together, be PATIENT!! don't get too frustrated and like ive always learned, don't let the beer get the best of you!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

If I leanred anything from these forums it's that everyone loves their Durangos and beer more than anything haha.

I just throw the bolts near whatever part they go to and whatever is randomly laying around goes in the mystery pile. I also learned not to use the top of the radiator as a tool/bolt holder because you just end up knocking everything down in the engine bay when you lean over, reminds me of the plinko game on the price is right (100 points if it hits the floor, 5 points if it lands on top of the skid plate).

I'm no hurry though, just taking my time and so far tearing it all down went pretty smoothly. I just hope I gain my 229.9HP back after all this haha it could barely pull itself into the garage.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:30 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Evon Trizmo
If I leanred anything from these forums it's that everyone loves their Durangos and beer more than anything haha.
Welcome to the family!

There really isn't that many parts on a 5.2L, but it is good advice to place bolts and such in zip-lok bags and lable them and keep them close to their parts.

As for gaskets, do a good set on the heads.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Well guys I'm about half way home, for anyone interested. If it wasn't for so much cleaning I'd be done by now. Oh and so far my very advance bolt labeling and sorting system is working out great haha.

Here's just a few questions, anyone know if these engines actually have exhaust manifold gaskets? First engine I saw without them, unless somebody even more lazy than me was there first and just didn't put any back on. Also would I need to be all professional and actually go out and buy a torque wrench for the head bolts, or would I get away with doing what every other poor kid does which is find a socket that fits on the handle of his ratchet and then put together all the extensions in his toolbox on that socket to make a long redneck breaker bar and pull into it don't turn no more? And no I didn't get new head bolts, I know I should but I'm poor remember, besides if I borrow one more extension from my neighbor I just might get them bolts to strech again haha, you never know. And my last question, I promise, anyone know of a good way to get all that old sticky gasket and dirt and whatever 13 years of buildup off the gakset surfaces? I have a round wire brush thinger that you put on the end of a drill and it spins, but would it be ok to get all that junk in the oil and cooling system, then do an old change and coolant flush after 100 miles? Or is there a better way I have not yet thought of?

Things are moving along smoothly, I'm be sure to post pictures of the job soon once I get them uploaded, everyone likes pictures.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

As promised here's there pictures of my redneck rebuild:

Name:  100_3933.jpg
Views: 4836
Size:  79.6 KB
Since I can't afford a worklight, and since it's not christmas, this actually works perfectly.

Name:  100_3900.jpg
Views: 8701
Size:  163.0 KB
Here's before I started pulling the heads, notice the results of many off road adventures haha

Name:  100_3904.jpg
Views: 5093
Size:  149.9 KB
My oil infested intake/plenum whatever you want to call it, either way my engine keeps throwing up all it's oil I feed it every week.
Name:  100_3914.jpg
Views: 4714
Size:  75.1 KB
And we all know this is the cause of the engine puking oil all over my intake, so everyone who hasn't changed this gasket/plate yet can see first had what's going on in there.

Name:  100_3939.jpg
Views: 5058
Size:  154.2 KB
Here's a header before I cleaned it, looks pretty normal to me for 200k miles.

Name:  100_3947.jpg
Views: 4859
Size:  157.5 KB
The head intake side I cleaned with the wire brush for the drill, it actually shines now.

Name:  100_3920.jpg
Views: 7363
Size:  199.0 KB
I don't know what those are called (kidding)

Name:  100_3936.jpg
Views: 6553
Size:  172.1 KB
Everything torn down with four more of those mystery holes in my engine block.

Name:  100_3941.jpg
Views: 5197
Size:  159.5 KB
My organizing system of parts and bolts, this is just one pile out of 7.

Name:  100_3940.jpg
Views: 4853
Size:  134.0 KB
Here's all of the pushrods, I guess they are suppose to be that dirty maybe, but anyways I shined them up nicely.

Name:  100_3942.jpg
Views: 4909
Size:  181.2 KB
The built in bolt and tool holder of the D, a very nice feature untill you lean over and knock everything in the engine bay.

Name:  100_3953.jpg
Views: 12103
Size:  233.5 KB
And finally here's one side done, I'm still waiting on another gasket to be shipped to the parts store, so for now I have an inline 4 engine with double MPGs woo!, just needs an intake.

Well that's about it for now, I'll be sure to let you guys know if it runs or explodes.

Last edited by Evon Trizmo; 03-08-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:42 PM
01 6.3L RT
Professional

Isn`t it fun lol. Now a good shot of black hi-temp paint and she`ll shine lol ,,,Good work there so far!!

Old 03-08-2011, 11:48 PM
12HILLBILLY
Rookie

ALL I CAN SAY IS HOLLLLEEEYYY **** !@111!!!! ... this is way too funny... i guess i should have done my gaskets myself you make it look so easy LMAO

Old 03-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

The only engine worth sandblasting and painting is a 5.9, or in your case a 6.3L haha
Although I should worry about cleaning the engine bay before anything else. Right now it feels like dropping a polished turd in a dump.

It is actually really easy it just takes a lot of time, the key is not having a wife. I'm just taking it real slow doing a little bit everyday, it'll get done eventually. I could finish it in a night if I wanted to but that's not relaxing or fun. Not saying saying tightening head bolts with my 3 foot redneck breaker bar is relaxing ha.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:18 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I love the christmas lights! Gives it that nice redneck party under the hood in march look! WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!! LOL

Quick Reply: Replacing head gaskets on a 5.2 engine