1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

P1732 and P1784 trans code HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:54 PM
rawpower1417
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1732 and P1784 trans code HELP PLEASE

does anyone know what the codes P1732, and P1784 means. And what parts i should buy to fix them

2000 Durango 4.7L 4x4 with the 45rfe and 9.25 rearend

Last edited by rawpower1417; 03-25-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:37 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Usually those codes aren't related to Chrysler vehicles but they mean:

P1732- 2-3 Shift Malfunction
P1784- Manufacturer Control Transmission

The first code is self explanatory but the second shows the switch that monitors hydraulic pressure for Low/Reverse clutch.

Sounds like you may need to replace Low/Reverse Solenoid switch. Did you replace the transmission fluid with something other than ATF +4 because it sounds like you did.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:37 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 03-25-2011, 04:54 PM
rawpower1417

The first time I replaced the filter and gasket the parts store sold me valvoline max life. Then last night I replaced that fluid with ATF +4

Old 03-25-2011, 06:47 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rawpower1417
The first time I replaced the filter and gasket the parts store sold me valvoline max life. Then last night I replaced that fluid with ATF +4
That is the incorrect fluid! It's not even compatable with ATF+4!!!!!

Recommended for use where DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT), Mercedes NAG-1, Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III and many others are required.
I got that right off the web site! http://www.valvoline.com/products/br...ssion-fluid/37

That parts man most likely F**ked your trans!

1. Is MaxLife ATF compatible with other brands of ATF?
    MaxLife is a multi-purpose fluid compatible with many brands and manufacturer recommendations. Refer to the MaxLife label to determine whether MaxLife is compatible for your application.

You didn't read the bottle did ya?

Old 03-25-2011, 06:55 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

the parts store sold me valvoline max life.
Here's your sign. I stand by what I said in post #2. Sorry to hear that.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:26 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
Here's your sign. I stand by what I said in post #2. Sorry to hear that.
yup, he is correct, putting the wrong fluid in these transmissions will cause all sorts of problems like these, sorry to say

and widow, is this sign the one you were thinking??

taken from here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5ZkdHImCuQ

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 03-25-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:01 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yeah it's a shame most people are just misinformed by what the guy behind the parts counter is selling. Usually they get paid promotions if they a certain amount of a certain fluid.

Or the guy was just too carless to look it up and see. You can find all required fluids in the back of your owners manual or from a simple google search.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:46 AM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
Yeah it's a shame most people are just misinformed by what the guy behind the parts counter is selling. Usually they get paid promotions if they a certain amount of a certain fluid.
Yep.

What people need to understand is that while there are a rare few good people at the parts stores, the vast majority of them are there because it was the best job they could get after dropping out of high school after sophomore year. They are trying to sell you what their manager told them to get sold, not necessarily what is right for you. These people make **** for money, and can get VERY motivated by the promise of a $10 bonus on their paycheck if they clear out some of the crap that the store is overstocked on.

(Hint: The ability to put air in your own tires is not on the list of requirements to get hired at a parts store....)

Never, ever, ever, under any circumstances, for any reason, in any scenario, should you trust the word of someone who is selling you something. This goes for televisions, refrigerators, kitchen flooring, and, yes, car parts.

Salesmen make money by selling you the product that puts the most money in their pocket. They don't care if it's the product you need. (This is why I have always been a complete failure every time I tried a sales job. Kept getting fired because I actually tried to sell the customers what they needed....)

If you can't be bothered to do the research and know what you need, then give up the whole DIY thing and pay the pros to do it for you.

NEVER take advice from someone who knows how to operate a cash register.....

Last edited by coreybv; 03-26-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:02 AM
coreybv
Veteran

Your transmission REQUIRES that you use ATF +4 and absolutely nothing else. Why did you let the parts store talk you into anything else? That's kinda like coming home with Tobasco Sauce when your wife sent you to the store for ketchup... They're both red, right?

Your tranny is probably shot. But just in case it can be salvaged the first thing you should do is park it. DO NOT drive it even 100 feet until you do a complete purge of the tranny fluid. Hell, don't even back it out of the driveway. For that matter, don't even start the engine except to follow the instructions for what I'm going to say next...

There's a FAQ thread stickied at the top of this forum. In there you will find a link to the instruction for doing a purge of the tranny fluid. This is not the same as having a shop do a "flush", and it's not the same as doing a "fluid change". Don't do either of those, you need to do a purge. And you need to do it before you drive that thing six more inches. (And, IMHO, you need to use at least 6 extra quarts on top of what the purge instructions recommend, since we already know your tranny is contaminated with the wrong fluid.... An extra 12 would be better...)

Once you have the tranny completely purged and full of the correct fluid, take the D to a tranny shop and have them asses the damage....

Last edited by coreybv; 03-26-2011 at 06:39 AM.

Quick Reply: P1732 and P1784 trans code HELP PLEASE