1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

No bus? HELP!

Old 03-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Winsok
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No bus? HELP!

2003 durango
4.7l 65000k miles

So i dropped my tranny pan today, changed the filters, put the new gasket on, and did an oil change, got it all up and running, added fluid shifted through the gears and ya know the checks and stuff before you take off.

well i drove it and it all ran fine, shifting fine everything. Than i went and got a car wash, and than i drove out of the car-wash, and had to turn around but could make the turn so i put it in reverse. Than my shift indicator circle that shows me what gear it was in went away. and i was like wtf. and so than i got it into drive and it was slow on the go, it didn't run rough or anything, it took a lot of gas to get it up to speed, than the check engine lite came on.

Well i got home, and got my father in law, he helped me with all this, and then i went and started it up for him, and all my gauges came on, none of my instruments worked, like mph, or tach, and my odometer blinked no bus.

I need help and what to get this fixed so i can get my wife's truck back up and running, she is pissed cause she says its cause i changed the transmission fluid.

Truck still runs, but doesnt seem like it wants to shift or like its in the wrong gear cause of how much gas it takes to get it going, is this cause of the no bus problem like the pcm isnt telling it to shift.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:14 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the no-bus is caused by the dashboard not being able to communicate w/ the pcm under the hood, this is where i would start looking, the pcm also runs the transmission in late 2002 and 2003 trucks w/ the 4.7, so a bad connection or corrosion in the wire harness will cause bad shifting. it is also likely that you have a corroded/exposed connection since it acted up when you got it washed (seems to me like water got into it and caused something to short), hopefully it will be fine once it dries out, however finding the exposed connection is still a high priority

Old 03-27-2011, 02:08 AM
Winsok

hope so, wife is mad and blameing me, but when we left the house after the tranny pan drop and stuff it was all running good.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:05 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah like Sharp said after the carwash it happened. I would personally go through all of your connections and blow them out with shop air. If you don't have a compressor get a can of air at an electronics store that you blow out the keys on a keyboard and whatnot. If you find any connections that have water in them get them repaired. The rubber insulation is shot and will give you problems again.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Winsok

Im prayin thats all it is, i left the connections off the PCM to see let it dry out, i even reset the PCM, and still says no bus, but now the shifter indicator is just cycling through the gears even with the car off.

Hopin i can just go buy one and it will work.

Is this why to when i drive it, its like its in a higher gear, and doesnt shift in and out too? cause the pcm is bad?

Old 03-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the PCM does control your trans then yes it is a possibility. You only used ATF+4 right? An oil change will not kill your trans like this as long as you used the right oil. Until this problem is fixed I would suggest not driving the D though. Starting out in too high of a gear can toast your tq converter or trans.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:29 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

unfortunately it is completely possible that your pcm is fried if there was a short in your wire harness, so yes there is a good chance a new pcm will solve at least the no bus and gear selector issues, however you will have to find the short in order to prevent it from frying the replacement pcm

it also sounds like you are in limp mode, not sure if a bad pcm will cause this or not

Old 03-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Winsok

Wow, so my wife has been royally pissed cause i couldn't figure this out and she just thinks i messed it up cause i was "screwing around with something that i shouldn't be"

But i think i fixed it, it was just a fuse lol, trans pos ind fuse. I havnt got to drive it, but at least when i turn it on now, all the gauges are normal, there is no more no bus on the odomotor, like i said havnt gotten to drive it yet, but hopefully this solved the problem, cause everything seems to be acting normal.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:29 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

hopefully, however i still think you got water in something that caused the short and in turn the blown fuse.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:01 PM
Winsok

yeah thats the part that doesnt make sense to me either, i pulled all the pcm connections off, i blew em out with air and everything, i havnt gotten to drive it yet cause its muddy from all the snow melting and my father in law wants to let the yard freeze up a little before i take it out of the garage.

So we will see, i'm praying.

Search this Thread