1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 Durango - starting issue

Old 03-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Randy_alpha
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Durango - starting issue

Hi All,

I have a 99 Durango with the 5.2 Engine. Generally she fires up right after the starter engages, now she turns over with no love. So..... here's what I've done.
- checked for spark coming off of the coil... got a good shock! So there is spark off the coil.
- Checked for fuel coming off of the needle valve on the fuel injection rail. She sprayed out so I know I am getting fuel.

Having spark and fuel.... what's next? I know on the older Chevy's there is an ignition module on the distributor, and when they go they display the exact same characteristics, just keep turning over. Does the Dodge have something similar?

I'm wondering if maybe there is a problem with the cap or rotor? I guess I could do a quick check of that. If anyone has any suggestions please share.

Thanks all,

Randy

Old 03-28-2011, 03:55 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

Battery

Old 03-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give her a shot of ether. If she fires off of ether it is a fuel issue. Pull a plug wire, not coil wire, and ground it to the block. If it sparks you've got ignition. Do a compression test to make sure you have enough compression. My guess is it sounds like an ignition issue since you probably wouldn't lose all of your injectors at once.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:35 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Replace the spark plugs with Champion Copper (yes the cheap ones) and gap them at .040

Could be the cap and rotor.

Could be the coil.

Could be bad wires.

Give her a shot of ether. If she fires off of ether it is a fuel issue. Pull a plug wire, not coil wire, and ground it to the block. If it sparks you've got ignition.
+1

Old 03-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Randy_alpha

Thanks guys. Here's what I did. We changed the pickup, cap and rotor. It seemed to have the same issue but finally caught up and fired. The engine only has about 120,000 miles on it and well looked after. I'm gonna give it a full once over this weekend and I'll keep you all posted.

Randy

Old 03-31-2011, 12:29 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like you didn't reset the pcm after relacing the parts. Took it a while to figure out what it is supposed to be doing......LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 Durango - starting issue