1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Need to Get Tow Package on my Durango

Old 05-09-2011, 03:00 AM
fcastro
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Need to Get Tow Package on my Durango

Hi all,

Recently I have had the need to tow things and I would like to get a the tow package for my 2000 durango (4.7). Where would I be able to buy the tow package that I need? Also would I need to add things like a transmission cooler etc?

My neighbor has a laredo Jeep and he went to the dealer and they charged him 500 bucks. I noticed that his bumper has some slit cover in it now. I dont think the durango would need that bumper mod they did.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Old 05-09-2011, 04:18 AM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as far as i know you can get a bolt on hitch that doesn't require any modifications to the bumper... not sure about the tranny cooler... my rango came with a hitch when i purchased it... not sure if it has a tranny cooler or not

Old 05-09-2011, 06:39 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on what you are wanting to tow. From Advance Auto Parts you can purchase a Class IV hitch tha simply bolts to the frame for around $200 and that is rated to 7,500 #. Also you can just purchase a simple plug and play adapter for the 4 prong trailer light plug.

Basically what it is, is a pigtail that you plug one end of your left tail light into this box and there's another end you plug into the tail light, and visa versa for the other side. It runs around $20.

If you're wanting to pull more than 4,000# keep in mind you'll most likely have trailer brakes and need a trailer brake controller. This means you'll spend an extra $150 plug you'll now need a 7 pole on the back that you'll have to wire electricity, reverse lights, and wiring from the brake controller.

I did this on my Durango so once you answer how much you'll wanting to be towing I can help you out more with pictures and such. Hope that helped!

Old 05-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like to tow my boat with the D but, the last time i did the officer told me that im required to have it on a trailer.....haha

anyways yeah they D is a great machine for towing.. just have to make sure your not tow to much weight..

... and yes take lots of pics we love pics

Old 05-09-2011, 10:20 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Old_School
but, the last time i did the officer

... and yes take lots of pics we love pics
Now I see what your talkin about!

Old 06-06-2011, 08:41 PM
GDMurf
Default Tow wiring

2003 Durango SLT, 4.7L V-8. Purchased used, and had a type III hitch installed and the big 7 pin round plug put on before taking delivery. Any way to tell if they put the rest of the wiring in i.e. the under dash plug for a brake controller?

Thanks,
Murf

Old 06-06-2011, 09:53 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can test at the tow receiver with a light or multi-meter. You can also get a test plug that plugs into your harness at the receiver and there are little lights that come on when you test each circuit. Your local trailer shop should have one.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:07 PM
GDMurf
Default Dashboard connector

If I use the tester at the plug in the back, that will just tell me the wiring is good forward. I guess I should have asked: what should I look for under the dash that would tell me if I have the plug there for hooking up a brake controller?

Thanks,
Murf

Old 06-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GDMurf
I guess I should have asked: what should I look for under the dash that would tell me if I have the plug there for hooking up a brake controller?

Thanks,
Murf
There will be a blue connector to hook a brake controller to under there if you have the factory installed tow package.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:22 PM
GDMurf

Thanks Old_School.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need to Get Tow Package on my Durango