1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Front Drive shaft Bad

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:51 PM
CP.reaper911
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Drive shaft Bad

2001 Durango 5.9 4x4
Thanks to all that have help with the issue of the truck shaking. I have fixed most of the problem by following what you guys said and taking out the platinum plugs for good ol Chapion copper tops. Replaced wires and cap/rotor. Truck sounds sweet and great power.

Now I took it out and test drove it and started shaking again. Sounded like it was growling. I pulled into a large lot and did some circles. Noise stopped after a few times. Just took it out again after I took off skids plates to check drives shafts for bad universals. I found that the front drive shaft from the transfer case to the front axle maybe bad. Boot is all gone and when I tried to rotate it, in neutral and using emergency brake, I can hear a clacking sound from the yoke at the transfer case side.
I stopped at autozone and they said about $300, I looked on ebay, $235. Is there a way to repair this or find it cheaper?

Old 05-14-2011, 10:58 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You could have one of 3 problems,

1. The U-joint is bad on the T-case end.
2. The Yoke (Output Bearing) of the T-case is bad.
3. Slip Splines are bad on the Propeller Shaft (drive shaft) (which I don't think is the problem).

You need to figure out which one the issue is, if it's only a U-joint then no issue, if it's the bearing then that would be a PITA.

Now if for some ungodly reason it's beyond repair, I would go to a junk yard and get a new one, install a new U-joint on each side and call it a day for around $80.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:03 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

check rock auto too once you determine exactly which part you need.

Quick Reply: Front Drive shaft Bad